Green deal assessment

twobears

Had one today and the chap who did it was refreshingly honest about how worthless it was for most houses. I warmed to him straight away once I realised he wasn't going to bullshit me. All I actually wanted was a free EPC ready for when I sell the house (assuming we are still in Europe by then and EPCs are still required) so it was not a wasted day but the suggestions that 'the computer' came up with were risible for the most part.

I quite liked the sound of wind turbines and solar panels but these are a non starter as we are hoping to move in a couple of years, sooner if the house sells quickly. Biomass boilers sound interesting but are scarily expensive and, apparently, enormous, requiring large hoppers, separate big hot water cylinders and so on. If this is true I won't be an early adopter, hoping instead that the technology is scaled down for domestic rather than commercial use once I am ready for a new boiler. Has anyone got a biomass boiler or a ground source heat pump? I have seen properties for sale with both but am not sure of the implications. Reading the manufacturer's blurb will always give a one-sided view.

Yep I'm on a biomass boiler well my landlady is and I'm in one of her properties

Runs a fairly large Manor house plus 3 cottages and working stables . The boilers out in one of the barns - big unit, squeals like a cat sometimes (the boiler not the landlady) she pops in once a month to read a meter and gets money back - Well i think that the game. Would estimate her place about 20 rooms from what I have seen of it. not sure how it works on a small property but do recall something about 17 years before you break even so its a long term thing. Suits me all my heating and hot water is included in the rent.

• Like 1

I've seen one in a big house too and it looked fine in that situation, in an outbuilding, but I can't believe the government are promoting them for ordinary homes. I've converted all my outbuildings so there's nowhere to house a massive boiler. I would consider it for the next house although I'm not quite sure about the 'squealing cat' sound effects? Normally when I hear that noise it means that the feral cat that lives in my compost heap is attacking my cat so I'd probably have to wade outside with my water-filled washing-up liquid bottle every time the boiler became vocal :wacko: Does the fuel look like cat litter? Maybe it is a real cat that has got into the boiler because it needs a wee? :lol:

The guy that rents an office from us at work has one on his place which is a bit smaller - I'll ask him how it flies - think his uses wood chips on a conveyor belt

Hi Annie

my secondary business is as a SAP assessor and producing EPC's - the chances (IMHO) of them disappearing are slim to none - its my guess (and guess it is) is that once there are sufficient amounts of data stored on the government database, then this could very well lead to tax measures either replacing council tax or alongside it.

Biomass boilers are expensive and large - i recall figures recently in the region of £15000 for the boiler alone

Wind power is relatively expensive, needs a lot of space and has to be braked in high winds - if not locked completely in high winds they can catch fire from friction - research is essential here.

solar photovoltaics at the moment are the best option - pay back time is on average 5-6 years with an average life of the panels at around 20-25 years - cost on a good 4kW system should be in the region of £5000 to £7000

My opinion FWIW:

Biomass is to save carbon emissions NOT money

PV panels will save money but look sh!te

Ground source heat pumps work but have a massive pay back period and you have to have the land

Air source heat pumps are noisy

Grey water doesn't work

Get yersen an efficient boiler (gas if possible) and and a well insulated property and go from there

Jus' sayin'

My opinion FWIW:

Biomass is to save carbon emissions NOT money

PV panels will save money but look sh!te

Ground source heat pumps work but have a massive pay back period and you have to have the land

Air source heat pumps are noisy

Grey water doesn't work

Get yersen an efficient boiler (gas if possible) and and a well insulated property and go from there

Jus' sayin'

PS

Vote UKIP

Thanks Rob, Andy and Hugh (for the first piece of advice :lol: ). I am still curious about the biomass boilers so more info would be welcome and I am even more interested in the solar panels because two of the farmers nearby have just installed dozens of the things so there must be something in it for them. I think it may be different for commercial premises though as I believe they get more payback the more electricity they use themselves? So if you were running a broiler house (neither of them are, thank goodness) you would save loads?

Hugh, wonder what you are drinking matey? ;) I take all your advice on board, save for the UKIP promotion, but maybe, in time, these options will become more viable and actually save us money rather than carbon emissions? Or am I being idealistic? I can't get a gas boiler at this house as we are not on the mains. Current boiler is ancient (1980s) but still works, apart from a faulty thermostat so the assessor said to leave it alone and I agree. It's noisy and ugly but there's probably no point in worrying about that if we are putting the house up for sale after Christmas?

or in other words - go from 1st principles and look at fabric first ie stop it leaking heat / energy in the first instance

Boiler is undoubtedly inefficient but a new one would probably only be a few percentage points different if what I have just been advised is true? House is very well insulated in most parts he said but we have one or two small solid walls left from the original building and they could be insulated. However, I am reluctant to do that because I think it would just seal in the damp which we have never been able to eradicate :(

Thanks Rob, Andy and Hugh (for the first piece of advice :lol: ). I am still curious about the biomass boilers so more info would be welcome and I am even more interested in the solar panels because two of the farmers nearby have just installed dozens of the things so there must be something in it for them. I think it may be different for commercial premises though as I believe they get more payback the more electricity they use themselves? So if you were running a broiler house (neither of them are, thank goodness) you would save loads?

Hugh, wonder what you are drinking matey? ;) I take all your advice on board, save for the UKIP promotion, but maybe, in time, these options will become more viable and actually save us money rather than carbon emissions? Or am I being idealistic? I can't get a gas boiler at this house as we are not on the mains. Current boiler is ancient (1980s) but still works, apart from a faulty thermostat so the assessor said to leave it alone and I agree. It's noisy and ugly but there's probably no point in worrying about that if we are putting the house up for sale after Christmas?

Well Annie, I've had a good day today so I'm celebrating ... people have actually listened to me and thus I have been able to make several lives better ... I do my best in a land of idiots ;)

• Like 1

FYI biomass boiler plus pellet storage plus gas back up boiler plus calorifier plus controls will take up all the space in a single garage and will require a flue discharging above nearby roofs and windows ...

also regular maintenance is required including ash emptying