Wheel dilemma

gstraw

Hey all

So I've got winter tyres on the zed at the moment and I desperately need to change the tyres to summer (have 19" fronts. Needs to buy new rears) so either I can go for 19inch wheels or 20inch.

My car is lowered with 25mm spacers all around. If I go with 19", I only need to buy two new rear tyres. If I opt for 20" then I need 4 new tyres and I need to sell my 19" front summer tyres.

Onto the alloys:

So I thought it would be a good idea to run a second set of wheels and ideally wanted the Japan racing JR11. They look good BUT they only come with multi hole pattern to fit all cars. I've never been a fan of that look. It looks a bit cheap...because the wheels are!

Next up are rohana's RC10 or RC7. Leaning more towards the 10 though. They are double the price of JR but most importantly I think the 19 inch ones don't have much concave At all. It only starts on the 20inch and as explained above the 20s need more tyres and also I will loose 0.5 inch on sidewall height. Here are the rohana on 19inch:

5b766b2c33699b1043e198762ea5a8eb.jpg

7fb15635ab22851efe6237c724e3d5ae.jpg

Here are the rohanas on 20"

7649ad6ea3d396a73e365cc7a93102c1.jpg

Big difference you can see. Not sure if it's just the angle but the 19s don't look very aggressive

Here are the rc7. More OEM looking but again these are 20inch

1449536cc5d17f334c2414937f1bddcf.jpg

2e5ce3e2108cd9ebef671a8191fa33a0.jpg

Last choice is Judd wheels. They are better priced than the rohanas. The 311 ONLY comes in 20" :

f9ae639f6355087e15302fed87775c58.jpg

Or they do offer the 202s in 19 inch which are a lot less concave but look more OEM. In a good way I think:

8e5220dd9c02cf714badc378bff9f497.jpge6a895150f2a9ba50fa55ef62a564e12.jpg

So I have a few options:

1. Put summer tyres onto the existing alloys. That costs £120 a year (60 per change) plus 2 cars to go to the garage since the tyres won't fit in the zed

2. Get the jr 11 or Jude 202 and use existing front 19" and buy rear tyres. Drawback of jr is multi hole alloys and for the 202 is lack of concave

3. Get the rohana rc10,rc7 or judd 311 in 20inch. Buy new tyres and hope they fit in a lowered zed. And hope ride quality ain't too bad.

sorry for the long post but I'm interested to know what other people have done who are running winter tyres, and from anyone who has the above wheels mentioned and the sizes they went for. Of course general comments are much welcomed too!

If you were in my shoes what would you do?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gstraw

Tbh I don't see the point in putting winter tyres on our cars in this country at all with the only exception being some areas of Scotland which do see some serious weather conditions during winter.

I'd go with the 19" alloys, ...the style of alloy really is just down to your own personal tastes though. ;)

• Like 2

Hey mate. Having tried with and without it is night and day difference. It's not snow tyres. It's winter tyres which means they work better than Sumer when temp is lower than 7 degrees and that's for 7 months of the year. Michelin actually advise that in the UK if you have to select one tyre to run all year round run a winter instead of summer. Less of a compromise and I have to agree. I've ran my Celica with winter tyres for 2 years and it's nothing short of amazing.

I done a trip up to the highlands in the rwd zed in December. The grip was unbelievable. Anyways hope that supports my reason for wanting to run 2 sets of tyres :)

19s would be ideal bud. Just seems to be that I won't get the best style and concave look I'm after unless I get 20s :(

Edited by gstraw

Driven winter tyres in Europe a lot and if I had to do that 7 months a year Id walk. Also never in 20 years of driving failed to get where I wanted to because of adverse weather, theres been a couple of times Ive struggled to get off my driveway but thats all.

Im not saying they dont work but if youre running winter tyres on a 350Z when its 20 degrees (like yesterday) youre mad.

Cool,

I would like this thread to not become one of winter tyres vs non winter tyres. Each to their own. Would like to bring it back on topic and ask if anyone has the wheels I've mentioned above?

Not sure if people have any rubbing issues on 20" alloys when lowered on eibachs

Im not sure what would be best suited to your personal taste but in my opinion those 20's on the red zed are something I would chop off an arm for. I've never seen those wheels before and that concave look is just awesome. Im guessing its on air suspension and slammed for the photo so again I dont really know what they would look like if your zed wasnt that low. Either way those are the wheels I would go for.

• Like 1

Would love the 20s but I think my brain is now saying get the 19s since I already have 2 tyres for them.

So a qu about figment, all of the 19inch wheels come in 8.5j or 9.5j. Since the zed stock is 9j and 10j what size should I go for? I would like to aim to keep the rolling radius the same on the fronts and the same or larger on the rear to close the arch gap a little.

Stock tyres are 240/40/19 and 275/35/19. Can I run these on the 8.5 and 9.5 respectively? Or should I run s square setup? Not sure if it may mess up dynamics of the car

Thanks

Edited by gstraw