'07 GT - changing the sat nav for a cubby

RavenDW

Hi all.

I spent hours swearing at my baby on Friday afternoon, but I got my new HU in. Still some work to do but that's something else.

Since my new HU has a sat nav (and I have my phone for navigation too) I was thinking of taking out the old sat nav. My primary questions are as follows:

1. Does anybody have any experience with or links relating to building a cubby to fill the void? It can be a project and I know some people who could help.

2. Secondly, are the cubbies interchangeable? Conceptz has a replacement cubby for the 03. I'm not really fussed about a closing cubby so this would be fine, but would it fit my '07? I can also look for Zs being broken but again it's all about the fit.

I should probably make a build thread; got a great photo of the rat's next behind my new HU :lol:

I asked a simular question previously but no real answers so would be good to see what people say. Trying to find a cubby in a breakers or on here was a nightmare with noone having one??/

good luck tho. I was going to make up something myuself which could screw in but never got round to it at present.

I asked a simular question previously but no real answers so would be good to see what people say. Trying to find a cubby in a breakers or on here was a nightmare with noone having one??/

good luck tho. I was going to make up something myuself which could screw in but never got round to it at present.

I did some searching around and a lot of it was like-for-like swaps or doing a tablet install or something else. My plan is to have a cubby without a door that I can possibly feed plugs into (USB, 12v etc.) and that can have a phone/tablet mount sitting there on occasion.

Looks like it is not going to fit the shape of the console opening is different.

Unfortunate. My thoughts were getting the shallow '03 cubby from Conceptz, or just any cubby, and altering it or fabricating something to make it fit behind the centre console; just fit a box behind the opening.

Obviously I thought I'd ask in case somebody else has been in the same situation and found a good solution.

Edited by RavenDW

Looks like it is not going to fit the shape of the console opening is different.

Yes, there's a lip above the satnav on the console that isn't there on the cubby version. You'd probably have to change the entire console and even then it mightn't fit.

Pete

Yes, there's a lip above the satnav on the console that isn't there on the cubby version. You'd probably have to change the entire console and even then it mightn't fit.

Pete

Build something to go behind it then. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Pete

Build something to go behind it then. Thanks for the feedback guys.

The cubby will probably fit behind, you need to put some black plasti-card in to cover the top gap.

Here's my effort. I made the tablet surround out of plasti-card and then flocked it.

84c9713732e196c24730530d80ab8027.jpg

image-8.jpgoriginal.jpg

The cubby will probably fit behind, you need to put some black plasti-card in to cover the top gap.

Here's my effort. I made the tablet surround out of plasti-card and then flocked it.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i360/Fluke3816/84c9713732e196c24730530d80ab8027.jpg

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i360/Fluke3816/image-8.jpgoriginal.jpg

Thanks for the images. It will be a little bit of extra investigating when I can next get the console out, which I need to do for other things anyway.

• Like 1

I have fitted the pre-facelift (sliding door version) to my '06 facelift console and it took only some minor adjustment around the back of the unit to fit.

The door shape at the top is very VERY slightly different so when I close it there is a slighty larger gap between the top of the door and the console. Us Zed geeks might spot the mm gap increase but the casual oserver probably wouldn't. Oh and there was a colour shade difference but a quick going over with satin black soon erradicated that.

David

I have fitted the pre-facelift (sliding door version) to my '06 facelift console and it took only some minor adjustment around the back of the unit to fit.

Fair enough, but did it have a factory fitted satnav in there? Any pics of it fitted. These are both pics of facelifts, one with cubby fitting flush to the console and one with factory satnav with lip on the console.

nissan-350z-v6-gt-S1724957-5.jpg

nissan-350z-S1691855-2.jpg

Pete

As pictured in boths Pete's post and mine, I have the lip. I'm not all that fussed over having the sliding door (if the mechanism and movement involved would cause an issue), I just want to mount something behind.

https://conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=12486

I know this is for a different model, but it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to attach this or something like it to the back of the centre console, especially if I do something similar to Fluke with plasti card.

What are you planning on putting there?

I had a couple of ideas. One of them was having it as a general purpose cubby (one that I can get at that isn't behind me) and possibly routing cables into there, such as a my HU's USB leads and maybe wiring in another 12v charger. I was also thinking that a flat plastic surface (floor or roof of the cubby) would allow me to mount a phone/tablet holder and it could sit in the cubby instead of on the windscreen. And when not used the device and mount come away as usual.

And depending on the size of the cubby I would also be left with some extra space behind the centre console for wires.

I know it seems a bit odd to want to get rid of a sat-nav and replace it with storage, but my new HU means the stock navi is useless. And i could also remove its DVD unit to make another storage space.

I was thinking of doing the same for my 04' GT... But I had not really looked into it more than the accessibility of cubby's.

Its not weird to want to replace with storage, for me the Sat Nav is out of date for both the maps and the screen quality, I am considering putting in a 7" Raspberry Pi system, but it's wouldn't be a priority; I figured I could use it to come on the forums use Google maps from the car via The BT open zone spots or tethering... In honesty though it's probably something I wouldn't really use, much like my Sat Nav.

Edit: assuming that's it's a 7" screen, I've not measured it or even got that far to thinking about it yet.

A lot of people do tablet installs and they're typically 7 inch screens. A little dash customisation would have it fit either way.

I think I have just found a cubby online that fits. N cheaper than the one at concepts. Won't be here till May bit I will let u know how I get on!

When you know, link it if it's even remotely the right size and shape; I'm expecting modification in some way regardless.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks perfect; thanks for the pics. Hopefully it fits the facelift models the same way. Where did you buy it from?

I'll be needing one and then have to find a plate to blank off the satnav controls.

Hopefully it fits the facelift models the same way

Looks to be the same cubby as mine, if it is then it won't fit a facelift. What you see is known as a "Nurrish Nav" named after its creator Dave Nurrish a member on here. He sold over 50 of these but stated that it wouldn't fit a facelift. Sadly, the thread about this build has not been archived for some reason.

P3105392_zps27418913.jpg

If the door is a slightly different shade to the remainder of the console then its only good for a pre facelift.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Looks perfect; thanks for the pics. Hopefully it fits the facelift models the same way. Where did you buy it from?

I'll be needing one and then have to find a plate to blank off the satnav controls.

I got it from work! Nissan, I work for Nissan. Its a genuine part! I can get more, They are just made to my order so may take a few weeks. Mine took 3.

If you wnat one let me know!