Octane booster - recommendations?

iwanprice12

Local to me, every petrol station has deided to stop selling Super Unleaded and decided on selling "Super Diesel". The nearest petrol station that sells high octane is Tesco that's around 12miles away. Although this isn't a problem (if there's enough fuel in the tank), I was wondering if there are any recommendations for an additive to normal unleaded petrol? Obviously this wouldn't be a regular thing, just wanted some advice/opinions.

Thanks

That is a bummer. Erm, don't think most of them do that much or anything...especially if the Z's engine requires the super stuff. You might have to just put up with the travel or fill up when near. I wouldn't trust my engine to normal unleaded with some of the canned boost stuff.

• Like 1

That is a bummer. Erm, don't think most of them do that much or anything...especially if the Z's engine requires the super stuff. You might have to just put up with the travel or fill up when near. I wouldn't trust my engine to normal unleaded with some of the canned boost stuff.

That was my thinking in all fairness.

• Like 1

I thought about using octane boosters when on hols in the Irish Republic (95RON only)

With the HR having knock sensors, it didnt need it, so in the end I didnt bother.

Its debatable whether they do anything anyway, going by the reviews you read.

My local Shell is 9 miles away the next being Tesco in Carmarthen at 22miles. :)

They do eff all! Been tested several times with 5th gear, EVO and other independents.

Snake oil may be better😄.

Yo can use 95 for if push comes to shove but I would drive conservatively until top up with the 98 upwards.

I once put £10 worth of 95 from a Murco on the off the motorway and the car drove rough and spluttered eventually stranding me on the road. Must have been water or dirt and the button of the tank of the Murco as I've played roulette several times with no issues or te fact the car was tuned for 99ron. Since then I will go out of my way to put 99 Tesco or shell v power. I don't even use BP or Esso 97.

• Like 1

Just don't be hoofing it over 5000rpm (is that right can't mind?) and use a tiny tiny tiny amount of unleaded lol. Again I think the HR's are ok for an odd time and it'd take a lot of use even for DE's to completely stuff it but again... would you risk your car thats worth £5-15K? lol

So even Esso at Cross Hands have stopped doing Supreme Unleaded? Weird!

I use Tesco mostly, or Shell if it's cheap.

Octane boosters don't boost the RON by 1 - so from 95 to 96, they boost it by 0.1 so from 95 to 95.1. Con!

Stick to the proper petrol, will just need some advanced planning, that's all.