Ball joint trouble

ginger_man666

Hi all, my local (and reliable) garage have noticed that one of my ball joints is worn and are in the process of replacing it. Trouble is they're struggling to get the right part, they've tried two joints from two different suppliers and niether fits.

Is there anything special about the 2005 fairlady import that would mean they are looking in the wrong places? The next step is probably to go to Nissan and spend a fortune on the whole unit, which I don't need and potentially still wont fit :wacko: .

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

The front upright lower ball joint is replaceable.

The compression rod ball joint is not, so I guess that it the lower upright ball joint that you require.

There are 2 different types, however they are interchangeable providing you fit the compatible seating cone and nut. ;)

Alex. :)

OK, cheers, I'll have a word with the garage tonight and check they are using the right parts. Out of interest, when you say the compression rod ball joint is not replaceable, do you mean impossible to replace or just difficult? The garage has tried all sorts of things to fit this part, so maybe they're trying to do something they can't.

OK, I've spoken to the garage. The ball joint in question is the one in this image:

40014-AL55J-GENUINE-NISSAN-350Z-RH-FRONT-UPRIGHT-STRUT.jpg

which I assume is the lower upright ball joint

The new joint they have fits into the aluminium frame but the conical fitting is too big. I assume this is the "compatible seating cone and nut" ZMANALEX mentioned above. Does anyone on here supply just the cone and nut?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...