The road to recovery - update

azuregt300

Hi Guys,

It's been a fair while since our last post on here, so I thought i'd post an update of progress after we received so many kind words and support on here. :thumbs:

I'll start with an update on the project first.

Following on from the last post, the rear quarter was replaced and the seam welding finished up.

The custom cages multi-point cage has also been installed. It's one serious looking piece of kit too!

The subframe bushes have been swapped out for whiteline poly bushes, with the same planned for the diff. Getting the stock rubber numbers out was an interesting wrestling match without a hydraulic press.

The hard-race front adjustable A-arms (not sure of their actual name) eventually turned up after a couple month of waiting, and are now installed and looking a bit tasty.

The biggest spell of activity came after all the under body braces etc. came back from the paint shop. A crew of guys all descended on the garage with several crates of energy drinks and vastly more technical ability than I possess and transformed the car.

It literally went from pretty much a bare shell to looking like a car again in 24 hours.

The interior is even back in and it looks the business with the cage and the semi-stripped out interior. The amount of weight saved is unreal. I couldn't believe the weight of the sound deadening alone!

At present the car has been etched, primed and has had a base coat. I'll be uploading the pictures we've taken so far,to imagebam and putting a link up to the gallery. This will probably give you a better idea, as I'll readily admit I'm no expert with this sort of thing.

In none project related news, my brothers recovery is going well. The nerve stimulation treatment we mentioned in our last post was astounding.

Around 3 weeks after it started it was like someone just flipping a switch. He was alert and self aware again. :teeth:

Over the past year he's went from strength to strength, although initially there were some hiccups and worryingly he's even more sarcastic than he used to be now, but all the signs are good.

We've recently been told he should eventually make an almost complete recovery, with the only real lasting issue being increased fatigue, mood swings and a very slight weakness down his left hand side.

Oh, and the sarcasm is apparently a permanent thing too. He's consciously making sure of that, much to his amusement.

We're still not sure if we'll be able to complete the project, as it's a balancing act between finding the time (not to mention the funds) to continue the build as well as the on-going treatments and re-hab. There are treatment options over the pond in the states and on the continent that simply aren't available here, and at present we are trying to decide how best to proceed.

There's two competing time frames involved - a medical and a legal.

Obviously the sooner the treatments / rehab process are started, the better the outcome.

The legal side is a bit more murky. The muppet that caused the accident was convicted but his insurance company have fought tooth and nail. the differences between criminal, motoring and civil law are actually astounding, and often actually contradict each other, which has been half the battle. Nevertheless we're told it should all be wrapped up and settled by the end of the year, or start of the next.

The gist being, if the funding stream isn't available in time, we'll be funding the remaining treatments ourselves to fill the time gap, so the car may still have to go.

On the bright side again, when we mentioned this to my brother and after the initial death stares and muttering, we did find him looking at GTR's or "a present from karma after they've finished de-scramlbling my noodle, if the combo dollars ever actually come through" as he gleefully puts it.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read and for all the support thus far. :)

Michael.

• Like 1

I have only just read this and your previous post.

Like everyone else on here, I wish your brother a full recovery and as speedy as possible.

Head injury's - so not good. Glad to hear your brother is making good progress.

Regarding the fatigue - this really can go on for an incredibly long time, like 8 - 10 years I reckon, lessening during this time gradually.

I was in a bad RTA in 2003 as a passenger in a Caterham resulting with a head injury.

I was back working 2 hours a day within 6 weeks, but it took over a year before I was back in full time work and 5 months before I was legally allowed to drive !!!! (Self Employed too- not good )

There are a variety of groups out there - Don't know if you have heard of 'Headway', there will be groups in your area - they particularly assist folk with Head injuries.

Regarding the Legal side (I found out about Headway too late for this) - I found eventually to be worse to deal with than the accident.

Please do not expect this to be resolved quickly, I was mis-lead so many times causing additional stresses.

It was 5 years before the legal side was completed for me, so please just be prepared for this to be similar. I eventually got to hear most cases similar to this do take this long.

Why, I can only think to line Solicitors pockets more.

Yes, I hate Solicitors more than any Builder/Mechanic etc !!! ;):surrender:

My biggest fear was I would loose my love for cars.

My car friends did their best to ensure this was not going to happen, and gave me so much support usually in the way of P!55 takes!!! :lol:

Hopefully with your fantastic assistance - your brother won't have any car/speed issues. Take the scarcasim as a blessing

I went onto complete masses of Track Days, take my Race Licence and generally do much more in the whole world of cars, motorsport etc.

I sincerely hope your brother manages the same.

If I can offer any further assistance or support on this side of things - please do Pm me.

I will leave the chaps to assist with the mechanical/race prep side - I just drive !!!! :lol:

Take care.

• Like 4