Diff/Gearbox Oil Pump

alexwitham

The item you link is handy to own anyway for that money. I bought a more expensive one though made of metal and it's crap. I had to re-read all the joints at it just leaked everywhere.

Regarding the gearbox - I did mine on axle stands. To get the oil in I used a length of hose pipe about 6 foot. Put that in the fill hole then then put a funnel in the other end and hold it up at about level with the wing mirror or higher and pour the oil in from there. You can tie the other end to something like a step ladder or chair at a suitable level to make it easier.

I struggle with the idea of molyslip. No, absolutely no OEM manufacturers suggest using it. A number of key components in gearboxes /rely/ on friction to work- namely the synchros.

Well I can only speak from my own experience and it did make a difference to the smoothness of gear changes and if Zmanalex uses and recommends it then it's good enough for me. At worst it won't do any harm.
  • Like 1

Well no at worst it can do harm. Reducing friction can do a number of things like cause bearings to fail (ball/roller skidding rather than rolling), cause synchros to function less well leading to gear damage and longer shift times. I'm not saying it does, just that it could. Usually folk put it in with an oil change, so they are bound to see improvements anyway.

Sold over a thousand tubes of Molyslip transmission additive and 99% of peeps reported a significant improvement in transmission operation. :#1:

Talking from my own experiences, I have never encountered any adverse conditions by adding Molyslip, so all positive. :thumbs:

CMS keep it in stock.

Alex. :)

• Like 2

Zmanalex - good to know!

Glrnet - impossible to prove within sensible consumer limits. Plenty of folk sell snake oil with zero testing (not saying Moly do!) So I wouldn't rely on that assumption!

I've emailed them asking for a technical explanation as to why its not an issue but a scan around the googledom shows a few concerns including some transmission manufacturer presentations on the subject. I'll await response!

Fwiw I just had a fairly lengthy conversation with the molyslip folks. They point blank would not answer my questions on synchro effectiveness being altered but did point out it was a permanent feature (effectively moly plating the parts) and insisted I rely on their good reputation. Personally I'm not convinced and its not recommended by several other fairly reputable sources so I'd advise against it but each to his own.

I'm on a mission to find out the truth. I hate buying on recommendation without understanding the reasons and how everything works first. They were quick to point out it does not affect oil viscosity and isn't a fix for already-crunchy boxes.

Spent half my driving life quashing expensive product myths and heresay on another forum. Plus my day job I'm always skeptical of everyone's product until its proven to my own eyes without costing me or risking my stuff!

Edited by coyoteboy

Fwiw I just had a fairly lengthy conversation with the molyslip folks. They point blank would not answer my questions on synchro effectiveness being altered but did point out it was a permanent feature (effectively moly plating the parts) and insisted I rely on their good reputation. Personally I'm not convinced and its not recommended by several other fairly reputable sources so I'd advise against it but each to his own.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble, as you say, each to their own and I'm happy to continue using it on the basis that it has made a gearbox with known and recorded failings (the 350 generally, not just mine :) ) much much smoother, over 30k covered so far since synchro on 5th was replaced at 32k and absolutely fine. Interestingly the people who rebuilt my gearbox recommended it to.