MPG....

alscar

I have two motors. One is my 350z which I mainly use for weekends and an old battered van which i run on vegoil and this is used during the week. The money i save during the week on veg oil offsets any petrol I use on the zed. Just a thought for anyone.

I have two motors. One is my 350z which I mainly use for weekends and an old battered van which i run on vegoil and this is used during the week. The money i save during the week on veg oil offsets any petrol I use on the zed. Just a thought for anyone.

There you go Sarnie - must be OK for yours, as I seem to recall Mr Lamborghini was originally a veggie farmer! :p

Just just looking at all the performance figures for lots of different cars..

I started to notice the 350s look like they are all a bit on the thirsty side.. Wondering if im just getting tight at the pumps with super now well over £1-?

Things like the BMW Z4 (3.0) give almost the same power per tonne out, but claim to offer almost a third more MPG. Ok I dont like the BMW nearly as much BUT!! :headhurt:

German stuff is and always has been good on fuel. A combination of sensible gearing and spot on fuel metering. Japanese cars are notoriously low geared, so spend their time at relatively high engine speeds on British motorways. My girlfriend runs a Civic Type R and even with the 6 gears its doing over 3500rpm at 70mph and could easily pull another gear. From memory a 350 is doing about 3000rpm at 70mph. This makes high speed cruising stressfull, noisy and thirsty. My little MX5 is doing 4000rpm at 80 and empties the tank like it's going out of fashion !

Off the top of my head I can't think of a Japanese car with gearing suited to British motorways, even a LS400 which you would expect to be ideal for high speed mile munching is spinning much higher rpm than a big BMW or Jaguar.

Last summer I ran an M3 Convertible and that was doing about 2400rpm at 70 and never failed to average 32mpg on each tankful. This Summer I ran a Jaguar XJ and that would give me 90mph for 3000rpm and once again never failed to average 30mpg over a week of mixed motoring. It would easily average 32 to 33 on a long motorway run. Conversly I never managed much more than 25mpg out of a Zed, and thats on Super Unleaded.

It's time the Japs got wise and started raising the gearing of their cars to suit the British market.