strange noise.....

reeces555

Having picked up my first zed today I have noticed that mainly when accelerating from about 2k rpm upwards in 3rd and 4th there is a noise like a sharp intake of air coming from the front passenger side lastjng for about 2 seconds then stops? Anyone ever come across this? Sorry if there is not enough detail here just hard to explain...ive got 3 months warrenty just want to make sure its nothing I need to return to the garage with.

Sounds like your heavy footed on throttle and brake pedals you can set the change light with the buttons on the right of the dash binnacle . My advice is learn more about the car and how it drives before you go mental

Sounds like your heavy footed on throttle and brake pedals you can set the change light with the buttons on the right of the dash binnacle . My advice is learn more about the car and how it drives before you go mental

the light was set to come on at 3000rpm I havent been driving the car hard by any mark. I wanted to try thr brakes etc while I have the warrenty didn't want things to drag on after the warrenty finishes

What cats you got? My HFCs make a weird airy noise...

Ive bought the car from a bmw dealer...not been under it, they didnt even know the back boxes were aftermarket...I only noticed as they have scorpian stamped the the tail pipes..they did mot it for me and I would assume it would of failed had it been decatted?

Ive bought the car from a bmw dealer...not been under it, they didnt even know the back boxes were aftermarket...I only noticed as they have scorpian stamped the the tail pipes..they did mot it for me and I would assume it would of failed had it been decatted?

lol. the number of times i have bought a car from a forecourt with a ''fresh MOT'', they just stamp a book and buy their MOT mates a pint next time they see them down the pub. so many cars ive had that would not of passed the MOT if i took it down there myself.

sorry, little rant... doesnt help your question lol.

If your worried about work needed after warranty go to your local garage get the car on a ramp pay for the half an hour or so that it will take to check suspension brakes make sure engine gearbox diff are all dry . Also some of these cars burn quite a lot of oil you should of already had the dip stick out best to do it when the car's sat over night.

• Like 1

Is it a small whirring / vibration noise around the 2k rev mark that you can reproduce even if you accelerate gently?

it happens when I apply more than half throttle but only last a second or two...its more of a sucking or blowing noise, hard to describe.

Mine does that but I do have a pop charger induction which is normal (awesome) sound. If it is a standard airbox then maybe you do have a slight air leak. Try opening up the bonnet with windows down and rev the car slightly and see if you can identify where it is coming from. Obviously when it's on your drive or something and not while driving!!! lol

• Like 1

You can get some carb cleaner from Halfords, spray it near the vacuum lines to see if it's a leak (engine idle will drop/change noticeably).

Example:

Also, might be worth posting up a photo of your engine bay to see if anyone can spot something.

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 1

Is it a small whirring / vibration noise around the 2k rev mark that you can reproduce even if you accelerate gently?

it happens when I apply more than half throttle but only last a second or two...its more of a sucking or blowing noise, hard to describe.

Might be worth meeting up with a member near you. Doesn't sound like any noise i've ever heard. Very rarely I've heard a noise thats like a vibration at 2k revs and lasts less than a second but its randomly come and gone away again so I just ignore it if i ever hear it nowadays. Our cars are pretty solid I'm pleased to say.

• Like 1

Fyi: HFC's are not De-Cats.

It stands for High Flow Cats. ;) Basically similar to standard Cats but just higher flowing AKA sports Cats.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys...work has been getting in the way...as always ;-) got a few hours spare saturday morning so will have a look then with what you've all suggested.....have to say loving the zed so far though

Edited by reeces555