gas fire

stuey

hmm not the same but heats up the house a treat think its run on gas we have an old fashion cooking stove think its called an argor, has two plates on it one is extremly hot the other is not so hot, its on 24/7 all year never turns off just lift up the lid and chuck your food on, it gets so hot that it radiates heat all around :thumbs:

hmm not the same but heats up the house a treat think its run on gas we have an old fashion cooking stove think its called an argor, has two plates on it one is extremly hot the other is not so hot, its on 24/7 all year never turns off just lift up the lid and chuck your food on, it gets so hot that it radiates heat all around :thumbs:

He wants a gas fire not a cooking oven!!!!! :scare::lol::p

We have one of these:

Plasma%20Front.jpg

Its a flueless fire, they dont require any kind of hole in the wall. They "eat" their own fumes, so only a ventilation brick or some other sort of ventilation required in the room. These are VERY efficient as you do not lose hot air out of the flue.

Styles of new contemporary flueless gas fires are becoming a lot more varied, some are a lot cooler than the standard rectangle...

Saturn%20Room%20Shot.jpg

Places like B&Q sell them starting at about £500, not the cheapest, but installation is a lot easier, cleaner and quicker than flue/powerflue fires.

One thing to note though is that as they spew hot air out of the top, which means placing a mantle or plasma screen etc above the fire is a no no.

I've got the same as Chesterfield (though we don't live together I must add :blush: ) and I'm pleased with it.

We have commited the cardinal sin of placing a LCD TV above it but a strategically placed, and wide enough, shelf buffets the heat so it doesn't bother the TV too much ;)

Got it from B&Q and it was a piece of pi$$ to fit....... So my Dad told me :lol:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/skins ... Id=9281962

Actually I did. (anyone thats visited our house knows Im a DIY nut)

Regulations state that installations must be carried out by a competent person. If you are a competent DIY person then it is possible to do the job yourself. I had to remove an old flue fire and brick up the internal and external walls too.

There are things to consider before you do the work yourself though.

Primarily is that your insurance could be affected if a gas appliance is not installed by a CORGI registered fitter or has the appropriate checks carried out after installation. I had mine checked when a Corgi fitter came round to do some other work in our house.

You cannot install a gas device for anyone other than yourself if you are not CORGI registered, so you cant have a competent DIYer install it for you, nor can you install one for someone else.

I was lucky in that the pipe leading to the existing fire was long enough to connect to the new one, and the isolator valve for the fire did not require relocation - if this wouldn't be the case for yourself and you needed pipe extensions or valve relocations, getting a CORGI fitter in would probably be prefferable (even though they dont come cheap). Not that you couldnt do the work, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

Just to correct myself, you can actually put things above these types of fire, like Jonathan has, but you need a fair gap, and/or some sort of heat sheild on the shelf, which Jonathan has.

They both screw and hang on the wall (at the same time). They hang on two screws and then have four pints of anchor with very long screws to the wall.

The botom steel section at the front folds down to reveal the controls. There is no taking these on and off the wall, and I wouldnt have thought mounting in front of plug sockets was advised, or indeed legal from a safety point of view. :unsure:

Zedrush, how can you misinterpret someone wanting a contemporary gas fire with wanting an Aga? That's like someone mistaking a Lotus for a tractor! :lol:

Well still heats up the house, well... kitchen and you can use it to cook too :thumbs: kill two bird with one stone :teeth:;)