Catalytic converter failing, thinking over options.....

nowhereboy

So what started as a small rattle from the rear of my exhaust has turned into a loud vibration that sounds like stones are bouncing around in there. The noise stops when any throttle is applied so i presume it's probably the cats failing? Originaly I thought it may be a heat shield but it's got worse as tme goes on. I am yet to have a proper look at it but I'll try to get it up on the jack tonight.

If it is the cats I'm faced with a choice of what to do, ideally I'd fit some hfc's but as I've just bought a type R I'm not really in a position to fork out for them. So.....

Option one would be to replace with standard cats, what should I expect to pay for them second hand? I'm not to keen on this option as I'd rather upgrade the parts if I'm going to have to spend the money sorting it. If they are very cheap however it may be worth doing for the time being.

Second option would be to buy some decent decat pipes (cobra etc), I've read mixed opinions on decats on this forum, some report a big decrease in torque and others say it made no difference. I'm not to worried about MOT time as I plan on getting HFC's before the next MOT anyway. I don't want a decrease in power tho, I'd rather not bother if that is the case.

Third option live on beans on toast for the rest of the month and buy the HFC's now :lol:

things always go wrong at the worst possible times!! :scare:

I'll double check tonight just incase it is the heat shield.

I don't have a credit card or an overdraft, I'm not in any debt or anything so could happily buy the HFC's on finance if I could find a shop that allows that, I'd just pay them off next month. Driftworks don't do them, I'm not aware of any other places to try.

Funnily enough I've had a similar noise coming from the drivers side Cat, video below:

I had it up on the ramp and the mechanic tried pressing and prying the cat to see if the sound would disappear, but it didn't. He seemed to think it was inside the cat. Sounds like a stone bouncing around like you said above.