Painting FRP

JoshC

Is it possible to paint FRP (fibreglass) such as 370z sideblades, with regular car paint? I'm thinking I might want to paint mine to match the wheel colour which is BMW ferric grey so could just get that in halfords tins!

Also, what do people think of that plan? Will they look odd in anything other than black?

You can paint it with just std 2K primer and colour, doesn't need a flexy additive unless its very thin and prone to a lot of movement,

plastic primer is for ABS not FRP.

They are quite thin though and will no doubt flex a bit when I inevitably catch them on speed bumps?

You can paint it with just std 2K primer and colour, doesn't need a flexy additive unless its very thin and prone to a lot of movement,

plastic primer is for ABS not FRP.

They are quite thin though and will no doubt flex a bit when I inevitably catch them on speed bumps?

In that case just use a flexy additive in both the primer and colour, that should stop any cracking.

Where can I get that? Is it something added before application or on top of?

If you buy paint to spray like 2k it comes in a tin, you mix it before putting it in the spray gun - the mix will be Paint, Hardener, Thinners and anything else you want like metal flec etc, you get choices like a hardener can be a fast hardener to reduce flash and drying times, you can also get things like a flexi additive, I don't think it's something you can get in a rattle can not in Halfords anyway, paint shops will mix paint in a spray can you may be able to ask for a flexi additive not sure.

Of course all this is great if you have your own spray gun and compressor and can use it - otherwise you are a bit snookered :shrug:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 2

Most decent paint suppliers will mix rattle cans for you, and you can specify whatever you want including polar hardener and flexy additives etc, but I will add that I have sprayed plenty of FRP body kits without using flexy additives and not had any problems with cracking, however if you do bash it on speed bumps etc it will likely crack regardless, as its the FRP that cracks under impact.

• Like 1

Okay great, cheers both! I'll find a local place that will do the mixing into a spray can for em then and see if they can add the flexi additive. Not 100% sure I'm going to be doing this yet because as you say Ricky I may just end up destroying the pieces anyway :dry: but appreciate all the info in case I do go to order some paint :thumbs: