Tax advice wanted

neo-ninja

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here is an accountant that can give me a little advice with tax via pm.

Basically I have been trying the last couple of years to start a few side projects that might earn me some money. Last year I actually started to make some money on one of them via eBay and I wanted to discuss it with someone to make sure I am inside the law paying the correct taxes etc... especially as this year I want to try and expand with Etsy etc....

Just someone trained who can give me a little advice would be fantastic.

Thanks guys in advance as always!

You are doing the right thing seeking proper advice and planning to pay tax on your profit. My accountant has advised me that HMRC are looking at ebay sellers. I have set up business ebay and paypal accounts to keep my business stuff separate from the general household stuff we may sell. There are obviously a heck of a lot of people on ebay making a living (or second income) that don't think they have to pay tax on it.

Make sure you keep detailed records of all your incomings and outgoings and will calculate tax as if you were a sole trader unless you are a registered company and remember that if you are successful you may have to register for VAT if you go over the threshold.

Good luck with the new venture.

You are doing the right thing seeking proper advice and planning to pay tax on your profit. My accountant has advised me that HMRC are looking at ebay sellers. I have set up business ebay and paypal accounts to keep my business stuff separate from the general household stuff we may sell. There are obviously a heck of a lot of people on ebay making a living (or second income) that don't think they have to pay tax on it.

Make sure you keep detailed records of all your incomings and outgoings and will calculate tax as if you were a sole trader unless you are a registered company and remember that if you are successful you may have to register for VAT if you go over the threshold.

Yeah actually I think what scared me slightly is when I added up how much money I had actually made last year, it was a heck of a lot more then I actually thought it was (but still not a lot by any means!) partyly as I left it in a paypal account and used it on various bits and bobs. Also I have seen a few articles on news sites about IR getting quite harsh. However then for every one of those articles I see other articles saying its a load of rot an its almost impossible for them to find out unless you are selling thousands of items etc..

Basically just some advice would be great, someone I can run the numbers past and what it is I am planning to do this year and see what their thoughts are and what next steps would be.

Yeah actually I think what scared me slightly is when I added up how much money I had actually made last year, it was a heck of a lot more then I actually thought it was (but still not a lot by any means!) partyly as I left it in a paypal account and used it on various bits and bobs. Also I have seen a few articles on news sites about IR getting quite harsh. However then for every one of those articles I see other articles saying its a load of rot an its almost impossible for them to find out unless you are selling thousands of items etc..

Basically just some advice would be great, someone I can run the numbers past and what it is I am planning to do this year and see what their thoughts are and what next steps would be.

HMRC have been slow to look at taxation on Ebay sellers but as more and more people set up their own little (or big) ebay businesses then they will take more notice.

I own a couple of businesses, have to account for VAT, have to pay personal tax, have to pay corporation tax - and am just essentially buying and selling. This is no different to someone who buys and sells on ebay.

Obviously HMRC do not have the resources to investigate everyone so it really depends if you are unlucky / lucky. Personally I have always been as careful as possible with taxes.

Their criteria may look at turnover as well as number of transactions - the stuff I sell goes for £00's so only need to sell a few a year to make a good profit.