Fault finding..cam sensor

z350convert

Just to continue on my task for the week...

OBD check says IMF light is on because Cam Pos Sensor BANK 1 (or circuit) is faulty.

Easiest first step - change sensor and check wiring to and from as best I can visually.

Re set to get light of and see what happens.

Assume light comes back on. Kick cat and change the crank sensor ( another £70 down pan)

Re set and test.

Assume light comes on again. drop kick cat over fence. Change the left bank 2 cam sensor (although diagnostic says BANK 1 at fault.

Asuume light comes on again. Stuff cat, apply to The Twilight Home for Bewidered Z owners and book the car in with Nissan.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Honestly I have no idea what that first post really means?

Is bank 1 cam sensor the code that the reader is throwing

Why are you fiddling with cam sensor 2?

When did the crank sensor come into the party?

:lol:

What ever the code is throwing either change it or reset and wait for the light to come back on then check again

Yes P0340 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR ''A''CIRCUIT BANK 1 OR SINGLE SENSOR'

So I am doing that first. But when I read up on it I find that it could be fault anywhere in the circuit including the crank sensor giving the same message. The the camshaft and crankshaft sensors on Zs have a history of being tempramental. There was a recall on 2003s like mine at one point but I didn't own it then.

My milage is just under 60000 so I don't think the timing chain has stretched, at least I hope bxxxxx not.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I should round up this thread.

I bought a replacement cam sensor and fitted it. I reset the Eml light using the pedal dance so well documented on this site and all is well after about 3 hours of running.

One or two points...right hand sensor means driver side to us Brits.

I bought a sensor on ebay only to find although it was genuine Nissan it was 2nd hand which had not been made clear. No matter, it works and it's guaranteed but would rather have had a new one.

Nissan price for a new sensor was only 20% more than my 2nd hand bit by time post is added so next time I will go to a Nissan shop for one of these I think.

The right hand cam sensor took about 10 seconds to un bolt but 2 hours to release the wiring harness. Since learnt to push the centre harness out with screwdriver first about 5mm and then you can squeeze it to release. If you don't the bxxxxr won't separate.

I hope this helps someone.

• Like 1