Advice on setup

duudiz

Morning guys, I have now owned my 05 zed for near on a month and I am planning on concentrating on the cars handling setup. I don't see the benefit of paying for performance modifications for the zed unless you go down the FI route (I'm not.)

So I plan to look at the suspension and would appreciate help with a shopping list.

Currently my car has the standard GT Rays which I plan on keeping and I have just fitted Goodyear Eagle F1's to the rear as the rears on the car were illegal when I bought the car and fronts will be changed ASAP.

I would like to lower the car around 30mm but I do have 20/25mm spacers to consider and I have also read that the Eibach arbs are a good upgrade. Any advice?

:-)

I have the Eibach ARB's, and have to say they are brilliant, and well worth the money. I fitted a set of Meister R coilovers earlier this year, and now think the car is pretty handy handling wise, iv also got 19" wheels. You should be ok with 25-30mm drop on the spacers

Kind of depends on what you want...a better handling car, or a better handling car with comfort? if you fit uprated springs or coil overs and ARBs it will likely feel harsh, on a road car I would fit just one or the other, compromise is difficult unless you spend a lot of cash.

Thanks for the feedback. As most people I want the balance of road comfort and trackday performance but I understand there is a trade off and you can soon be into big money.

I use the car as a daily but only low mileage and plan to attend a handful of track days per year.

Daryl - I did loom at the meisterR coilovers as they seem very well priced, what drop do they offer over standard?

Spacers are not a performance upgrade, so I wouldn't fit them if I was you.

Eibach ARBs are very good, and definitely worth the cost. Don't forget new drop links, too.

I run the BC Racing dampers and springs on my MR2, and on full soft they are easily comparable to stock, i.e. soft and floppy. If the Zed ones are the same, I would expect you to be able to run a setting that is more than compliant enough on the roads, whilst allowing you to stiffen them when you want to. In reality you'd normally just find the right balance and stick with that.

They are adjustable, which is good, though if I was doing it again, id probably spend a little more and get something like the KW's, which are 2 way adjustable or the Tein with electronic damper control, just for the fine tuning really, but for the money, id say they are very good. Iv heard there are a few 'makes' that are all the same, Meister R and HSD's, not sure how true that is. They can go down to silly low, but I have mine set at 25ish below standard, as I have lots of speed humps around my way, and want it usable. You will need a pair of damper extensions for the rear, and a set of rear camber arms to bring the rear camber back in line to standard.

Spacers are not a performance upgrade, so I wouldn't fit them if I was you.

Eibach ARBs are very good, and definitely worth the cost. Don't forget new drop links, too.

I run the BC Racing dampers and springs on my MR2, and on full soft they are easily comparable to stock, i.e. soft and floppy. If the Zed ones are the same, I would expect you to be able to run a setting that is more than compliant enough on the roads, whilst allowing you to stiffen them when you want to. In reality you'd normally just find the right balance and stick with that.

Dan, I didnt think the drop links were essential if fitting ARB's, cant say I have them fitted, and happy to be corrected.

Not essential, but a majority of the time folks have to cut their old ones off to be able to fit the new ARBs,so I figure you might as well just budget for them in the first place. Sounds like you got lucky with yours :)

So it sounds like the ARB's should be the first thing to look at as everything I have heard seems positive.

I will keep researching into coilovers but I think the ARB's are a must, where is the best place to purchase those and the drop links if required?

Ekona - I already have the spacers fitted and I understand they are far from a performance upgrade but the car sits much better and visual is still important to me considering I am staying with the Rays.

So it sounds like the ARB's should be the first thing to look at as everything I have heard seems positive.

I will keep researching into coilovers but I think the ARB's are a must, where is the best place to purchase those and the drop links if required?

Ekona - I already have the spacers fitted and I understand they are far from a performance upgrade but the car sits much better and visual is still important to me considering I am staying with the Rays.

Speak to mitz or tarmac I went for whiteline and I'm happy with them