Exhaust Scraping - HELP!

KS2006

Hi All,

Starting to get worried now about my Z scraping the drive - when I reverse out (if I come out forwards its worse) the exhaust is scraping.

Seems fine when I drive in (probably the balance of the car).

I need to add that the driveway is a shared driveway - our side is block paved and the neighbours is gravel. The side causing the issue is the neigbours side. I don't fancy paying a couple of grand to get their driveway block paved :yuck:

I can't get the car out completely on our side (physically impossible).

I've had a look underneath and basically on the drivers side the exhaust is lower but its one particular bit thats causing my concern. I can only describe it as like a metal gauze tube (similar size to a coke can) that seems to join 2 pieces of more solid exhaust together. Where its scrapped you can see sort of metal threads showing underneath :scare: . No hole or anything in it.

So what does this do and should I be scared!!!

Can I get anything to protect it or has anyone any ideas to help?

How easy is it (horror) to raise the suspension.

I literally need probably only a couple of mm.

I don't fancy new exhaust bits within the 1st couple of weeks of ownership.

I'm working on using bits of wood on the driveway n stuff but it has to be parked off road otherwise it will be 5 mins before vandalism occurs.

Cheers

Hmm I'll try to explain (my paint skillz are rubbish otherwise I'd try to draw a piccy).

Coming off the road onto the drop kerb is fine. However there is a 'hump' where the tarmac of the footpath meets the driveway. The car is bottoming out on the tarmac hump.

If you think of driving your car over a flatish triangle. There is a sweet spot (which is where its rubbing) because the front of the car is just that tiny bit too low.

I just need to raise the front of the car I guess when reversing so the sweet spot doesn't catch. Hence trying bits of wood is next. We are of course limited in what we can do as its not our property (the side that scrapes). I don't fancy paying a couple of grand to get it all fixed so nextdoors get a nice paved driveway for free (they have crap cars so don't give a monkeys - and its rented property). As far as I can see my alternatives are

1 - Let it scrape until its worn enough (car & tarmac) or I knacker something on the car.

2 - Bits of wood

3 - New driveway

4 - Different Exhaust.

5 - Suspension changes (higher/air/adjustable).

6 - Get rid of the car and go and buy a nissan navara :(

If I knew what was under the bit thats scraping or could get a shield I wouldn't be worried.

mine does this, if you drive in but turn in really late you alter the length of the car so its lowest point is higher, same when reversing dont drive straight, turn as you are exiting

works for me, otherwise the exhaust scrapes everytime (not a nice sound)

hth

OK, if it's not the drive itself, but the path bit, the you can get that changed quite easily. My parents did it when they had the curb dropped at their's. They made sure the whole width of the path was used to take the gradient. Pics may help!

Sometimes taking a different angle in does help too as Gixxer said.

May be a crazy suggestion, but you could get a decent size piece of wood, and then cut it to give you a make shift ramp, enough to raise your drivers side to get over the hump. Hard to tell without seeing it.

It is the worst sound in the world though :scare:

As I've said in previous posts I used to have the problem on farm roads at my mother-in-laws. One day I actually took a shovel with me to remove a hump out the road that the gas board had kindly left there :angry:

i have the same problem dependant on how i approch my drive , i hear it lighly scrapping the same piece that now has a couple of loose threads of metal .... just one of the sacrafices of owning such a nice car :blush:

getting my driveway widened as we speak though so should hopfully fix the problem :teeth:

ps, so the monaro today (twice) ross....looking very nice B)