Brake pad time

embrace

Evening all,

Ive just had a read through the front brake pad guide and although ive never done them on the zed before ive always done them on previous cars but not on brembos. but am going to tackle them over the holidays!

Is there a guide for the rear brakes (brembos preferably)?

Also has anyone had much experience with EBC pads, I was thinking of going for yellowstuff but must admit all ive used on other cars is either greenstuff or mintex. Any thoughts on them?

Also is it worth changing the discs my rears look a bit ropey to be fair, or just give them a good clean up and sand the faces down abit. If it is worth changing the discs I do like the look of the black diamond ones. Do they actually stay black in colour or do they tend to go shiney after a while? again any thoughts most appreciated :)

The cars 10 years old, done 24k miles on original pads and discs (I believe), it looks as if theres still life in the pads but the brakes dont seem to stop ever so quick compared to my previous car now so I think some intervention is needed!

Rear discs:

rear1.jpg

front discs:

20141215_165106.jpg

Edited by embrace

i've got EBC redstuff pads on the front of my zed, had no problems with them - quiet and seem to work well, although i rarely brake hard on the road.

as for discs, they'll need replacing once they reach minimum thickness - cant remember what that is though. best check you can do is feel if there is a lip developing on the edge of the disc - replace them if its very noticable.

for reference, my car did ~60,000 miles on the front discs before needing replacing - the rears are still original and are now on 65,000 miles. so unless you're last of the late brakers or have a very aggressive pad fitted, your discs should be fine for a while yet!

It's dead easy.

I'm running yellowstuff all round, on pagid disks, and it's not great if i'm honest. Pootle around town and you get build up on the disks which makes the steering vibrate under hard braking, though a good blast down some country roads to get the brakes hot does clear it up. Don't go too mad headed though because I had this setup on my trip to the Alps last year and the pads fade if pushed very hard... I've never been able to push hard enough to achieve fade on roads over here I admit - lots of corners in the alps :) Wouldn't be too hard to get fade on a track though I expect.

• Like 1