de cat

flirt

Yup.

Didnt really feel any power gains & they are being replaced on saturday.

Basically just 2 straight pipes that replace the cats.

Noise increased a lot.

They would probably make a lot more difference on your TT though

Have a pair of Fujitsubo ones sitting in the workshop, were only on a car for 500 miles ( he crashed the car) almost as new £100

If they were hi-flow cats I'd be interested!!! :teeth:

Would rather do without the hassle of decat pipes coming up to MOT time!

phil. can you explain what they are im still learning :)

De-cats are basically a pipe to replace the cats, this removes the restrictive flow in the exhaust, some cars benefit from this and some don't.

It does sometimes have a trade off in that it can reduce torque at the lower end.

De-cats are basically a pipe to replace the cats, this removes the restrictive flow in the exhaust, some cars benefit from this and some don't.

It does sometimes have a trade off in that it can reduce torque at the lower end.

Pardon me for being ignorant or pedantic, but does removing the cats and replacing them with straight pipes not mean that the car is spewing out untreated gases into the atmosphere? If so, you should all be ashamed of yourselves. :rant:

Also, is it not illegal? Would the car fail the MOT?

Pardon me for being ignorant or pedantic, but does removing the cats and replacing them with straight pipes not mean that the car is spewing out untreated gases into the atmosphere? If so, you should all be ashamed of yourselves. :rant:

:wacko:

Yes, No and Maybe :teeth:

Mines decatted and would fail the mot but :bleh:

Dont bother with de-cats, hassle to change over for MOT time and if youre really unlucky traffic cops could stop you and run an emissions test..v unlikely, but if they do then you got uneccessary trouble.

Got an offer for V+ plenum and hi flow cats from Kinetix in US for about $950 shipped.. does anyone know where i can get a better deal in UK?

All these bolt on bits probably make no difference until youve had a re-map ...hopefully next month will be paying visit to TDi (if i can save enough for it).

Dont bother with de-cats, hassle to change over for MOT time and if youre really unlucky traffic cops could stop you and run an emissions test..v unlikely, but if they do then you got uneccessary trouble.

Got an offer for V+ plenum and hi flow cats from Kinetix in US for about $950 shipped.. does anyone know where i can get a better deal in UK?

All these bolt on bits probably make no difference until youve had a re-map ...hopefully next month will be paying visit to TDi (if i can save enough for it).

Try Bigphil or Envy for the Kinetix stuff. Decats are worth the hassle for the noise alone imo. Mine have been removed after my neighbour complained to the police about my car being to loud :angry:

Not as loud as decats though :dry:

Ive got custom sport cats now and they are nowhere near as loud atleast until I get to 3.5k rpm :teeth:

Gonna get the silencer in the mid pipe replaced soon with a straight pipe so should bring back some of my noise B)

Flirt, you've got a TT car, so removing the cats will make a massive difference to your car. You will need to get the car remapped though, as the gain setting on the boost paramters will need reducing, to prevent you overboosting. Makes a huge difference to spool time with no cats in the system on a turbo car. Turbo's really dont like cats.

Removing them on a N/A car will lose you a fair whack of low end torque. And will be seriously loud.

Flirt, you've got a TT car, so removing the cats will make a massive difference to your car. You will need to get the car remapped though, as the gain setting on the boost paramters will need reducing, to prevent you overboosting. Makes a huge difference to spool time with no cats in the system on a turbo car. Turbo's really dont like cats.

Removing them on a N/A car will lose you a fair whack of low end torque. And will be seriously loud.

Interesting. I wonder why Alan's so against it?

The reason I think he is so against is that when you de cat a TT on standard internals boost control becomes an issue.

The turbo is a small units and spools up very quick and over shoots the set boost level and on standard internals over boost (any thing above 8psi) can kill you z.

Alan please correct me if I am wrong