Throttle Controller

jamess115

I'm hoping someone can help answer this for me Gents. Forgive me if this has previously been covered. If possible, I'm trying to overcome the delay im getting between regular motoring and opening up the throttle fully. My car is an auto so i'm wondering whether there will always be a second or so pause before the engine delivers full power. Anyone know if a throttle controller will help eliminate this delay and give a faster response ? NB. Im not interested in a remap. Many thanks for any contributions :)

Edited by jamess115

I have a throttle controler on my manual 350. In sport mode, the response and difference between that and normal mode is like night and day. Definately far more responsive and make it a lot more fun to drive. then when you get on the motorway you can put it on Eco mode which makes the accelerator less responsive.

My personal opinion is that it was definately worth the purchase and I would hope it would help elimate your delay, although cannot comment on use on an Auto box

• Like 1

Not sure if it will cure the problem your having but the throttle controller is supposed to overcome the std ECUs response in limiting the opening rate and amount that's applied to the first three gears, somebody with an auto and throttle controller is bound to be along to confirm if its compatible.

• Like 1

Throttle controllers don't adjust the throttle response, they simply alter the signal between the pedal and the ecu to tell it that there is more throttle being given than there actually is. i.e. on SP9 mode, if you depress the pedal by 15%, the throttle controller will tell the ecu that you pedal is at 100%.

I had one in my car and enjoyed it, more so in eco7 mode where it gained me an extra mpg or 2.

• Like 1

Throttle controllers don't adjust the throttle response, they simply alter the signal between the pedal and the ecu to tell it that there is more throttle being given than there actually is. i.e. on SP9 mode, if you depress the pedal by 15%, the throttle controller will tell the ecu that you pedal is at 100%.

I had one in my car and enjoyed it, more so in eco7 mode where it gained me an extra mpg or 2.

I looked into this recently and agree they simply alter the signal.

I came to the conclusion that it's a case of try one to see if I like it.

Going to wait for better weather though now the icy nights have arrived.

Thanks Kyle for clearing up that initial misinformation to the op :lol:

I've checked on my D1 TC box and it will fit any zed except HR which have a different throttle sensor clips from the DE/Revup. The auto will therefore benefit from the response in the throttle which is what the OP wants.

The dull response that we experience as a lag is inbuilt into the drive by wire ETC character to provide safety and comfort in the lower rpms. The controller amplifies or reduces the signal on the whole rpm range depending on the mode selected. It has nothing to do with the ECU. It does not affect your tune. All modern cars with drive by wire will benefit from this if they don't have a switchable TC already inbuilt. The graph borrowed from blitz website clear illustrates a typical modern car's throttle response profile.

303C8C9C-8BB9-435A-A038-379868FCC924.jpg

Edited by GT4 Zed

I am not being picky , but In the interests of keeping things factual,

The ECU in fact plays a big part in FBW throttle control, it limits the % of opening seen by the stepper motor attached to the throttle plate in the first three gears, along with throttle modulation used in the traction control system, without the ECU interface you would just have a connection between the pedal and the throttle body, so you may as well have a cable.

This is why the throttle opening reduction/lag whatever you want to call it can be removed with an up-rev remap as well as the proprietary throttle control devices available.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

There we go again. You keep using one known fact to explain your non-fact.

There is no point describing how the ETC works in a DBW setup. Of course the ECU is pivotal in controlling this and other vital functions but that's not how the aftermarket throttle controllers work we is what I pointed out to. They just alter the signal between pedal and TB. They donot "overcome the ECU"

Off course the ECU will have to adjust fueling to maintain target AFR due to changes increased or decreased air charge due to the TC. But there is not direct relationship between the 2.

For example It's like saying fitting a grounding kit or a pop charger "forces" the ECU to make more power. It doesn't. One may enhance spark strength and the other provide may provide more and colder air which in turn the ECU can capitalize make more poke through a selection of strategies.

Maybe I'm the one who is picky and should be less pedantic.

Edited by GT4 Zed