Note of caution to people spraying wheels

Andy

Just had a girl on my local forum have a major problem with her wheels literally falling off her car. She wasn't sure what it was at first but it turns out that the wheels have been recently sprayed and in short the paint in the lug holes acted as a lube to undo the nuts and hence the wheels coming off.

Seems from the following link as well where the wheels have been powdercoated, it isn't an isolated incident!

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=2255

Thought it would be worth the heads up in case anyone has/is thinking of spraying/powdercoating their own wheels. :thumbs:

Just had a girl on my local forum have a major problem with her wheels literally falling off her car. She wasn't sure what it was at first but it turns out that the wheels have been recently sprayed and in short the paint in the lug holes acted as a lube to undo the nuts and hence the wheels coming off.

Seems from the following link as well where the wheels have been powdercoated, it isn't an isolated incident!

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=2255

Thought it would be worth the heads up in case anyone has/is thinking of spraying/powdercoating their own wheels. :thumbs:

I've heard of this before. Best to scrap the paint off the the taper seat.

I had my track day wheels for the Cossie powder coated a while back and the heat from the brakes tends to stick them to the hubs after a track day. I now take a big rubber mallet with we. I really need to clean the paint off the mating surfaces but can't be bothered.