Sonax Polymer Net Shield

roscopervis

I had a day off on Friday and the weather remained half decent during daylight hours so I took the opportunity to do the winter prep and protection clean on the ol' Zed (minus the wheels, will do them next available day).

Did the whole caboodle, with full decontamination, claycloth, selective machine polish on certain areas (usually like to do a decent one at the start of summer), and onto the application of the Sonax Polymer Net Shield an aerosol based sealant. Two layers have been added.

I'm hoping that it will last the full winter by itself and I'm going to update this with pictures of the finish and protection offered by the product. The can states six months protection. The attractiveness of this product is the ease of use - spray on a microfibre pad, apply with light strokes and thats it. If over-applied it will need a light buffing but it shouldn't really. Also, it's not a slick product, but that's not the idea - it's an incredible water beader and offers superb self cleaning properties, so over the winter I'm going to try and get away with as many touchless washes using snowfoam only as possible. Less touching, less scratches. I know it won't be 100%, but the main idea is to keep the salt and other bad stuff away.

It rained heavily Friday night, I drove the car back from the train station (after watching the weirdest game of rugby!) and the water just fell off the car once moving. The car is still clean, whereas most products would have lefts watermarks following that deluge and drive through the rain. So a good start.

Was toying with an Illogikal style test, but instead will try that on the workhorse (Seat Leon) instead.

Here's the full list of products used:

Turtlewax Ice Wheel Cleaner used also as iron remover (Can be picked up for £2 or less from Tesco Extras - works well!)

B99F8745-B174-47E7-AE92-7D64780C3222.jpg

Bilt Hamber Autofoam

Muc-off Ubershine shampoo

Tardis

A no name £12.95 fine grade clay cloth

Meguiars Ultimate Compound (Very versatile and finishes well) used with a Milwaukee AP12 rotary.

Meguiars Stage 1 Paint Cleaner

IPA (12.5%) Wipe down.

Sonax PNS.

GTechniq G5 on glass.

E26D563F-51E4-4FEC-B045-BD649BBE5CCF.jpg

9FD32632-92C3-4FA3-9F79-AB9B0D0F0A15.jpg

0B246004-6B48-4A57-ACDC-48ED22AEEEDE.jpg

Not too much iron contamination on the paint.

Just now after the rain, still very clean.

2571B55F-74B8-4796-968F-4C805EB771D2.jpg

BA6B60CC-D833-4A20-92A7-70BCE7AA6247.jpg

• Like 4

I've got a bit of a boner for sonax products at the mintue, the BSD and wheel cleaner are current favs. Good to see another one of thier products getting a run out. I'll add this to my things to try list, thanks for sharing.

Looks well after the rain. Anything that can cope with the sand/dust that gets in the rain round here is a god send.

This is like BSD on steroids. It's like BSD is Ribena dilute, this is Ribena straight from the bottle, no water.

If it does start to fail (I'm not expecting it to by March/April) then a squirt of BSD will be enough to top it up for at least a month, with the two hopefully working well together. This stuff has even better water behaviour and even better self cleaning.

Sonax have an excellent range of products out currently. Saying that, Bilt Hamber AutoWheels is the equal of the wheel cleaner and is cheaper, if you need an alternative.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Right, a long term update to this thread, it's now 5 months since I applied Sonax's Polymer Net Shield (PNS), and the big question is - how did it do? I took 2 extra days off last weekend to do my summer prep but tonsillitis put pay to that, so I need to wait until I have a few days spare again to give it the full works. In the meantime, its regular washing until then.

It hadn't been washed for a month and we've had the dusty rain. It hasn't rained much, but what we've had has been dirty! What this does show is that when it rains, the water still beads strongly:

The wash is just a simple snowfoam, 2 bucket wash and dry. In testing the PNS I haven't been topping it with anything to see exactly how it performs over time. The car isn't garaged so is out in all weathers. With the daily, I've been running an alternative strategy - using Sonax's 'Quick Detailer' (but which really is a spray sealant) Brilliant Shine Detailer (BSD) as a drying aid every 3rd wash. I wash and dry the Zed first so there's no BSD contaminating the result.

20150419_130424.jpg

So straight onto the snowfoaming (Carchem which is applied at a 5% ratio at the panel). Recently started using this, been using Bilt Hamber's very Impressive Autofoam, but the Carchem deal piqued my interest. It's good, certainly up there with Bilt Hamber, which is as far as I am concerned the best I have used.

20150419_131329.jpg

Attacked the daily too

20150419_131823.jpg

Left to dwell

20150419_131815.jpg

And rinsed

20150419_132704.jpg

20150419_132711.jpg

Onto the 2 bucket wash, I use Autoglym's Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo - It's a decent shampoo, doesn't sud much but is fairly slick and cleans well. I had it for really cheap so I have loads to get through. Works plenty good enough. The key with both the foaming and shampooing is to use products that aren't harsh or dilutions that are correct. Too strong and you'll put unnecessary strain on any last stage product you are using. The same goes on wheels, if you have protected those too.

Post wash rinse

20150419_140624.jpg

20150419_140627.jpg

20150419_140630.jpg

The shampoo's benefit to most people is that it helps rinse quickly. I tried to get some sheeting but the PNS is a beader and basically confused the shampoo's rinsing quality.

20150419_140704.jpg

20150419_140627.jpg

For comparison, this the daily last applied with BSD as a drying aid a month ago.

20150419_140936_HDR.jpg

All done

20150419_143823.jpg

20150419_143851.jpg

20150419_143926.jpg

So, before I say what I've learned I need to clarify that I'm dead lazy so I like things easy peasy. The PNS is certainly that, it applies easily, and over the last 5 months has kept the car cleaner than typical waxes, and a snowfoaming gets the car 90% clean. Furthermore, as the pictures show, it is still very much evident on the paint and could go on a few months more I'm sure. Of course, it isn't as insanely beady as it was when first applied, but is still about as beady as most decent sealants and waxes are after about a week, after 5 months! If I were to use BSD as a drying aid, even after every 3rd or 4th wash, I think you could keep up the protection indefinitely.

Of course it's wise to decontaminate, clay and polish your car at least once a year, but I'm confident that PNS is durable enough to last in between those sessions, especially if an occasional top up of BSD is also used. I do it twice a year and it clearly has easily seen through winter. It hasn't been particularly harsh here, but given how strongly it still performs, I have confidence that it could deal with worse. Post clean the paint still has a sharpness and reflectivity to it that is impressive.

Overall, for £13, I have to say I'm extremely impressed by this product. People may say it can be grabby, but by using damp applicators that helps. I have found it a breeze to use, and seeing as it easily lasts 5 months (the can itself says up to 6 months, but I think it can go further) then it's a very low maintenance product for people who aren't a fan of the whole detailing regime but want an easy to use product to protect their paint.

• Like 2

Have to agree with you on this....awesome product.

I bought some after seeing it on the start of this thread. Its been on the Zed 5 months as well, with similar results.

I'm about to get myself a DAS-6 polisher to do some light swirl correction. After polishing, I'll be re-applying the Sonax PNS without a doubt. :thumbs:

• Like 1