Oulton Park, 6th December

brillomaster

Bit late in the year I know, but I never let anything get in the way of my track fixes!

Me, Ken, and the Dark Knight are booked in at Oulton Park, Saturday 6th December with Javelin Trackdays. Currently just £119 for the day.

If anyone fancies joining us that'd be great, look out for this thing silently gliding round the track!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100673378326844&l=842cd45f71

• 4 weeks later...

whoop whoop one week til trackday! hopefully the weather will be as it was this weekend, but the main thing im praying for is that its dry!

Also Dan will like this... current collection of tyres on the beemer is now a Kumho, a Nankang, a Landsail and a Continental... so we'll be really good at putting power down out of right hand corners (which is good as Oulton has a lot of those!), but fairly terrible everywhere else...

Edited by brillomaster

whoop whoop one week til trackday! hopefully the weather will be as it was this weekend, but the main thing im praying for is that its dry!

Also Dan will like this... current collection of tyres on the beemer is now a Kumho, a Nankang, a Landsail and a Continental... so we'll be really good at putting power down out of right hand corners (which is good as Oulton has a lot of those!), but fairly terrible everywhere else...

I like your thinking, bespoke tyre set up for each track depending whether its clockwise or vice-versa :thumbs:

Well that was an eventful day... started very cold, and very damp... not good for a rear wheel drive BMW. got started about 11am, traction control firmly on, was kicking in on the pit exit and then the light was blinking most of the lap!

10801578_10100691823742084_4662605304891376706_n.jpg?oh=db45f09ce7a6738507f4f01376d7eb08&oe=55102CC6&__gda__=1426588067_7be5209de8370560ef09901756ec78e2

started to get a little drier around 1pm, made the mistake of deciding to do some laps with TCS all off since it was noticably cutting power. didnt go so well... Skip to 2:35 and 3:15 for the interesting bits... to be honest i dont know what happened, happened so fast i didnt have a chance to catch it. i'll put it down to oil on the track, definitely not the 90% worn landsail tyre on the rear right :blush:

however a dry line did start to form my mid afternoon, so did get a few decent laps in! will post another video when its uploaded.

Edited by brillomaster

Heres a couple of dry laps behind a Z4...

he had more traction out the tighter corners, but we were slightly better on the brakes... you can see him trying hard when he ABS'es and misses the odd apex! but then again i was trying too, had a few dab of oversteer to correct coming out of corners.

Best lap was a 2:25... is that good round oulton?!?

Edited by brillomaster

just had a look at the times from the videos... in the wet i was lapping around 2:35 -2:30 range, and then 2:25 in the dry following the Z4... Ken i dont have a full dry lap of yours on video (stopped on both occasions by redflags) but managed to time hairpin apex to hairpin apex and i think it was about a 2:28.

I should be there in Feb and March next year, be good to get a few zeds out too!

I think my best time is around 2:05-2:10 in the dry (~630hp GTR). I've seen a few videos of 1:55-1:58s before in various cars. I'm certainly not track experienced so I'm sure a decent driver could get my car round in a lot less!

yeah didn't think there was any saving it so just jumped straight on the clutch and the brakes. thankfully it stayed on the tarmac, shudder to think what the car would have looked like if we'd have hit the wet grass.

Oulton is a great track, the camera doesn't really show the gradient and elevation change, but reminded me of cadwell park.