Starting Issues

mayfair

Hi all

I have been having some issues starting my 350. When I turn the key it won't start but if I pump the clutch it will fire up. I have replaced the battery and cleaned the terminals.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to what the problem could be. I was thinking the clutch switch or starter motor?

Thanks in advance

+1 on needing to depress the clutch. Also be sure you press the clutch all the way down - I find the clutch gets a little heavier in the last 10% of movement, which means I occasionally don't press it enough to be able to start the car on the first try (normally after I've been driving my fiancées car which has a very light clutch pedal)

hehe yeah I have plenty of experience driving said 350 but no so much troubleshooting as this is the first thing that has gone wrong on it in 3.5 years. I have been holding the clutch all the way down. When pumping I make sure to get it all the way down too.

If it is the switch what would be the best way to replace/bypass?

I'm guessing the bypass would upset the operation of Cruise Control.

No sure TBH, I dint have it, however I would have thought that once the engine is running the interlock switch is cut out of the circuit by the ECU, but I would have to check the manual, it would also be easy to check with a multimeter.

I'm guessing the bypass would upset the operation of Cruise Control.

No sure TBH, I dint have it, however I would have thought that once the engine is running the interlock switch is cut out of the circuit by the ECU, but I would have to check the manual, it would also be easy to check with a multimeter.

If you dip the clutch with the cruise control on it deactivates it, I'd guess having the switch disabled would do the same. If the OP doesn't have cruise obviously it wouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1

hehe yeah I have plenty of experience driving said 350 but no so much troubleshooting as this is the first thing that has gone wrong on it in 3.5 years. I have been holding the clutch all the way down. When pumping I make sure to get it all the way down too.

As it was your first post, you never know.

this clutch switch cleaning and adjusting article says the cruise control is on a different switch - also the cruise deactivates when you slightly depress the clutch - whereas the engine will only start when you fully depress the clutch, which suggests different switches.

http://my350z.com/fo...and-adjust.html

Interesting!

this clutch switch cleaning and adjusting article says the cruise control is on a different switch - also the cruise deactivates when you slightly depress the clutch - whereas the engine will only start when you fully depress the clutch, which suggests different switches.

http://my350z.com/fo...and-adjust.html

Thanks for the guide. I will have a good read of it and see whether cleaning improves it. Yeah I do have cruise so that was a concern for me but I guess you are right and they could potentially be different switches.

As it was your first post, you never know.

Hehe I am sure it wouldn't have been the first time someone had done something similar!

The main reason why you depress the clutch on starting is to take some load off the starter motor. If you remove the clutch switch you could end up with starting issues.

The 370 will start with either the clutch or brake pressed

It's so that if you start it in gear you don't smash through your garage door. It makes no difference to the starter motor as it's spinning the flywheel, which has no load if the car is in neutral.

The main reason why you depress the clutch on starting is to take some load off the starter motor. If you remove the clutch switch you could end up with starting issues.

The 370 will start with either the clutch or brake pressed

It's so that if you start it in gear you don't smash through your garage door. It makes no difference to the starter motor as it's spinning the flywheel, which has no load if the car is in neutral.

As above,

I think it was devised in America, ;)

If it was to avoid wear on the starter there would be an awful lot of dead starter motors about, as it a fairly recent addition, in fact its proved detrimental on some cars by causing premature wear on the crankshaft thrust bearing on some makes.