knocking noise when turning (update, fixed)

kbeast35

hi, i have a knocking noise that only seems to happen when turning under load coming from the drivers side, for example if i turn right 90 degrees it will knock once or twice and when i straighten up it will also knock once this also happens on left hand turns sounds like its coming from the drivers side wheel but does not happen when stationary applying lock left to right only when moving, drop links were replaced all round earlier this year so could it be a symptom of banana arm starting to fail or a ball joint somewhere along the steering?

anyone had similar?

Edited by kbeast35

Do you have wheel spacers?

If so check the nuts are tight - if not check the wheel nuts anyway, if you have 15mm wheel spacers check the inside face of the wheel is actually sitting snug to them as the studs stick out and depending on wheel design can stop it fitting flush - have seen that before, the result was a click exactly as you describe.

Simple but worth checking :thumbs:

ok so heres the update, got it up on the ramp at a local garage and found this :scare:

drivers side

IMG_0378_zps89287201.jpg

passengers side for comparison

IMG_0379_zpsb206897d.jpg

different angle drivers side

IMG_0380_zpsff54cd05.jpg

and passengers side again for comparison

IMG_0381_zpsb9fdd197.jpg

and finally the part number

IMG_0383_zpsb6d46f2b.jpg

so think i'll start with this first, can anyone tell me what this is? (i'm guessing banana arm due to the shape) and do i need to replace the whole thing or can i get a new bush/uprated bush?

again any advice greatly appreciated :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

quick update for anyone having similar issues, took the car to cougar store where mitz and andy changed the bushes for superpro, took the car for alignment and the knocking was still there, although the bushes clearly needed changing got the car back up on the ramp and after a bit of investigating andy started to check tighten everything he had done, all good, took the wheels off check tightened the spacers again all good, check tightened the droplinks and found that they all went at least half a turn or more, problem solved no more knocks or creaks car feels planted and a pleasure to drive once again :teeth: big thanks to mitz and andy as usual for fitting me in at short notice

• Like 1