Dipstick woes

Mudman

Had a 6 hour drive on Sat so decided to check the oil – looked as through a drop was needed so popped in about 300ml. About 10 mins into the journey, was accelerating on a feeder lane onto a dual carriage way smelt oil but it went fairly quick so wasn’t sure if it was me or just something in the air from other traffic. Journey progressed included a meeting a Ferrari 348 and the both of us moving in tandem. About 2 hours into the journey – again accelerating when joining the motorway smelled oil again and this time got a bit smoky in the cab. Pulled over and looked around the engine bay - more smoke once stopped and was convinced I had overfilled the oil , but noticed the dipstick was loose. Made sure it was fixed in and carried on. Return journey pretty much uneventful then spotted white smoke behind me and cabin started getting smokey again. Now seriously worried I pulled over and popped the bonnet and the dipstick had come loose again !

Fixed that and carried on the next 2 hours home and no further issues arriving in the dark. Come Sunday morning had a good look and seems all was now well with no drips but enough exterior oil throughout the bottom passenger’s side of the engine block/bay and down the side of the car to warrant getting the degreaser out and taking off the wheel and and pop charger to clean up and pressure wash the underneath. A 30 minute drive confirmed all good and dipstick stick in place no smoke.

So my thoughts here are did I overfill causing the pressure to pop the dipstick – (does it do that ?) out or just didn’t get it home correctly on 2 occasions ?, (second time was sure it was in)

So my thoughts here are did I overfill causing the pressure to pop the dipstick – (does it do that ?) out or just didn’t get it home correctly on 2 occasions ?, (second time was sure it was in)

Probably didn't align it correctly, it's stupidly difficult.

Pete

You just didn't get it home matey, easily done. Even when you think you have, these things can be awkward!

I normally give the dipstick a spin through 360 when I've got it in place, usually confirms it's in or it'll pop back out as it wasn't quite perfect.