Cooling fans

Harryjax

I managed to have a look at this issue today.

All fuses and plugs look ok but the two cooling fans do not operate.

The temperature gauge goes up fine so am I right in thinking that the fan motors are at fault?

Any one else had this issue?

I've read somewhere that the brushes in the fan

motors sometime get stuck and can be stripped down and fixed. Has anyone done this and if so was it worth while or should I just buy new / used ones.

From a previous thread about the same thing basically....

As others have said the likely cause is the fans not working. When the car is running and comes up to working temperature you should see one of the fans start to work, if not then it's probably had it. The other fan works when the A/c is turned on so you can check that by turning that on when the cars running.

Some members have taken their fan motors apart and cleaned them/replaced parts but usually this is just a temporary fix. Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...rs-youtube-vid/

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...-small-how-too/

Alternatively you could get a good used set of OEM fans from zmanalex on here or from one of the other members/traders that are currently breaking 350Z's.

Another alternative is to take the opportunity to upgrade at a cost more reasonable than the OEM parts from Nissan. As Jumping350 mentioned you can get the Mishimoto fan shroud which Clark Motorsport, Tarmac Sportz and others sell on here.

Link to Tarmacs fans although PM him for best delivered price; http://www.tarmacspo...S-350Z-03_.aspx

Good luck. :thumbs:

Link here if you want to read more; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/90005-overheating-only-driven-250-miles/

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Hi Harryjax I had the same issue when I got my Zed the fan motors were nakered here's one of many utube links to show how to strip clean & check your motors

mine were beyond repair and I replaced the fans & motors.This was the first advice I was given by Mitz at Cougar Stores to check before I spent any money on new fans, apparently the motors giving up is a known issue and this is why I always go to him for advice and work as the most important thing to him was saving me money first rather than taking it off me TOP BLOKE :thumbs:
  • Like 2

Well guys I stripped the fan motors down and took them apart to find all the brushes in both motors stuck in the housings.

Once pried out I honed the carbon brushes with a super fine diamond file until they slid in and out nice and easy.

Put all back together refitted on to cooling shroud placed back in car and tested.

:yahoo::teeth::band:

I've taken some photos so will post them up later.

Every thing Woking great now even the AC.

AS I ENJOY PLAYING WITH SPANNERS.

If anyone else is having the same issue with their cooling fan motors and would like me to fix them FREE of charge PM me. ;)

It's an easy fix with no parts required.

:thumbs:

• Like 4

Good post :thumbs:

Thanks buddy but I actually followed the original

How to thread posted up in the 350 how to guides. The pics and the grubby fingers above are the ones I took while doing the job.

So all credit to the original post. :)

but you still went to the trouble of posting pics and explaining :thumbs: