Rear mounted turbo

Toon Chris

It may seem a strange question to ask given I'm not actually intending to make this mod, but has anyone on the forum tried one of the rear mounted single turbo kits?

I know one worry is the lag, and another the exposed oil line, but some real-world feedback would inform my inquisitive mind :)

Incidentally I have seen a much older post about this but still no-one who has tried it in the UK or specifically on this forum?

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/18364-rear-mounted-turbo/page__st__40

Edited by Toon Chris

That's the thing, you can't. You are adding a massive amount of pipework which needs to be filled with exhaust gases which will hurt throttle response, and then you have to compress all the air going all the way back to the front of the car.

It's like putting a piece of paper in front of a fan: Do it right next to it and the paper flies away, do it a meter away and it might flutter past. That's not exactly correct as obviously the air will flow outwards, but you can try the same thing using a tube and then switching the fan on and off to simulate being on/of throttle.

• Like 1