Is this the dreaded clicky axle (video included)

liamgdr

A couple of weeks ago I made a thread about all 4 corners making a click when I apply the brakes, we came to the conclusion that it was most probably the pads moving inside the calliper as it was on all 4 wheels, more noticeably on the back though.

So before I bought new parts I thought i would try and diagnose the problem properly today, I jacked the car up and spun the back wheels, while applying the brakes.

I can't really tell where the noise is coming from, it seems like both rear axles and the diff itself, the diff noticeably jumps up and down, should it do this :wacko:

Anyway, heres the video

Im hoping its the common clicky axle so I can just follow a guide on here, but it looks more serious to me.

Cheers, Liam.

Sorry I should have explained better, it does also click under load, I removed the wheel to try and locate the noise, its definitely not the pads, the loudest click comes from the diff, but i didn't get a very good chance to record it because my phone died.

Im not using the hand brake I'm spinning the wheels in first gear than applying the foot brake, then spinning in reverse and applying the foot brake again, so on, so on.

Edited by liamgdr

Not the clicking axle noise I have heard - gentle forward and backward runs normally produce a definite click (more low pitched than yours) through each revolution. These might help:

Full repair: http://www.350z-uk.c...-350z-breaking/

Alternative option: http://www.350z-uk.c...try-this-first/

Hopefully someone like Zmanalex may see this thread and can offer a more informed opinion. ;)

Not the clicking axle noise I have heard - gentle forward and backward runs normally produce a definite click (more low pitched than yours) through each revolution. These might help:

Full repair: http://www.350z-uk.c...-350z-breaking/

Alternative option: http://www.350z-uk.c...try-this-first/

Hopefully someone like Zmanalex may see this thread and can offer a more informed opinion. ;)

I really hope it just needs some grease, I bought new 4 new tyres yesterday, paid my insurance for the year and doing my p3, its an expensive month for the zed.

definitely not the clicky axle issue. You can se the noise is caused by the pads grabbing hold of the disk and then the calliper seems to jump, theirs an audible click clack as the pads hit the top and then the bottom of the calliper. Nothing to worry about IMO, the effect seems exaggerated as the car is off of the ground too.

definitely not the clicky axle issue. You can se the noise is caused by the pads grabbing hold of the disk and then the calliper seems to jump, theirs an audible click clack as the pads hit the top and then the bottom of the calliper. Nothing to worry about IMO, the effect seems exaggerated as the car is off of the ground too.

Its definitely not exaggerated, its much louder when driving the car, you can hear it at the other end of the street, maybe the video doesn't do it justice. The pads are completely solid and in person you can tell the click isn't coming from them.

Is the diff supposed to have a small amount of movement, if you watch the end of the video you will see the diff jumping up and down.