Axle stands and working underneath your car

liamgdr

Ive just reserved the low profile jack from halfords and the el cheap axle stands, Ive noticed that the maximum height for the jack is something like 36cm and the stands 40cm. Ive always had the luxury of using garage ramps, so can you easily get underneath the car or do I need a higher lift jack and stands? I will only be doing normal light/service jobs, gear/diff/engine oil etc.

Cheers.

I suppose a lot could depend on how much beer you consumed the night before as well. Just a word of warning if you bought the orange ratchet type axle stands I'd be a bit wary as i bought a pair of these stands and they collapsed on me and i only just managed to roll out from under the car in time before i went on the fastest diet possible. If i hadn't put the wheel I'd removed under the Zed I'd hate to think what the outcome might have been. I think they must have just have been a faulty set because when i took them back to Halfords they wouldn't even hold up under their own weight. They offered me another set but i politely declined and got a refund.

I suppose a lot could depend on how much beer you consumed the night before as well. Just a word of warning if you bought the orange ratchet type axle stands I'd be a bit wary as i bought a pair of these stands and they collapsed on me and i only just managed to roll out from under the car in time before i went on the fastest diet possible. If i hadn't put the wheel I'd removed under the Zed I'd hate to think what the outcome might have been. I think they must have just have been a faulty set because when i took them back to Halfords they wouldn't even hold up under their own weight. They offered me another set but i politely declined and got a refund.

this is VERY BAD! I just don't know how much I could trust something like that with a car over the top of me!!

:scare:

I had a look at the ratchet one first but I thought it looked a little flimsy, Im using one with a pin, but you've still scared me :scare:

I've scared myself, Halfords are looking into it as an urgent safety issue and i've got to admit I'm just looking at the old fashioned ones with holes and pins. They don't give you much adjustment (about three or four heights between eight and ten cm apart) but they look to be the safest on the market. It'll take quite a lot for me to get under a car if its held up with the ratchet type. I appreciate that there are a lot of them out there and they're all probably safe, its just that it only takes one pair to fail and i hope that one pair was mine as i got out OK.

Definitely stick to the pin ones, I was watching a video on the do's and donts of axle stands and jacks and it said over 200 people a year are killed in jack related accidents :ohmy:, i think that was in australia alone.

On another note why did nissan put the front jacking point about 2 feet in from the front bumper, they don't like making it easy.