Manifold back open "sewer" pipe

JJNornIron

Hi guys,

I have totally stock 2012 Z and recently bought the cybox short tails (muffler delete).

Can anyone suggest a place to get a centre section, that leads to the Y pipe that would replace the standard centre section? Don't really want to have to buy a full system, or the massive budget at the moment.

My thinking is that after the elusive centre section is changed, I could buy a cheap cobra de-cat pipe and Y pipe and have a straight through system on a budget. Plus I know people may disagree with me, but this will be for weekend use only and shows so I want LOUD.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got the cybox installed....what a difference!! They give a deep roar on initially starting the engine then quieten down. They seem to give a loud bass line on lower rpm, then the deep baseline disappears off as you clime the revs but it just makes the entire soundtrack overall louder.

The stock exhaust so was heavily corroded on a 2year old car, it took 5 hours, to remove the 4 bolts due to rust!! I tried all the usual tricks and ended up having to drill them out of the flanges with titanium drill bits! I think Ill leave it for another day before I tackle fitting the decats!!

Anyway, here is a quick video from my iPhone to give you a better idea of what they are like at cold start up on a totally stock car.

• Like 1

Haha I know that feeling. I've got short tails on and I park up against a wall, morning cold starts are deafening. I'm concerned that when I have fitted the de-cats it'll actually be....dare I say it.........too loud :blush:

It is good when you're out at a meet though, and its time to leave, the note puts a lot of bigger cars to shame :D

Well thats thats the cobra decays fitted, OH GOOD GRIEF. It would blow your ear drums out. There is a little drone between 1800-2300rpm but the rest of time its a deep burble at idle to all out screaming at full chat.

Your correct oldbonesmcgee! It is almost deafening. I normally love the louder the better but even by my standards, its brutal.

I had so much trouble getting the short tails on due to rusted bolts, I needed titanium drill bits before cutting the bolts, then drilling out the flanges. I am extremely handy, but due to trying to work on my back under axle stands, I gave up with the decats and went to a local shop. They had so much trouble, the last bolt on the manifold side was stuck, and they had to disconnect the steering rack to get access. It was an awful job, best £80 I ever spent!

Decat video below!

Edited by JJNornIron
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have had to put my standard back box back on because it was too loud for me haha.

What I don't like is when you need into the next lane so you give it a little beans at a light and unleash the brutal deafening roar of the exhaust on some poor unsuspecting granny.

I managed the de-cats myself but they were an absolute nightmare. A whole days work per side.

And I can tell you, that video doesn't even tell half the story haha