Noise from new clutch & flywheel fitted

leet8845

I went for a long drive again today and the noise is back. I recorded it with my webcam but the sound doesn't pick up that well although you can hear it a bit, it's louder when you're next to it.

It sounds like something rattling when the clutch is not pressed in.

My fans goes off after 1 minute, 7 seconds and you can hear it a bit better

Any ideas what it is? :shrug:

No it was a LUK flywheel.

Does your flywheel always sound like that? Since having my parts fitted (clutch, flywheel, slave, clutch line) this is what happens:

Difference in idle sound when clutch is not pressed down when engine is cold. A ‘whirling’ sound can be heard which goes away when you press the clutch.

Sound gets progressively gets louder as the car is warmed up to the point where it develops into a sort of rattle. The sound will subside as the car cools.

Whenever you turn the engine off, the rattle occurs, quite loud. If you press the clutch the turn the car off, whatever it is, no longer rattles.

I've took it back and they have said it's the gearbox making the noise, it's nothing to worry about. I'm not sure if it was that loud before after a long journey.

I've managed to find a gearbox off a 08 reg with 18k for a good price. They said they would fit it for £100 as a goodwill gesture. I think I'll do it as isn't this an improved gearbox?

I've managed to find a gearbox off a 08 reg with 18k for a good price. They said they would fit it for £100 as a goodwill gesture. I think I'll do it as isn't this an improved gearbox?

It depends... What year zed is yours? There are differences

sometimes my Z makes a noise from the gearbox, usualiy in the first statup of the day.

this noise is there from the first day and the Nissans guy (engineer) told me that is was a "normal" noise because the first models have a defective bearing in the primary-shaft gear box.

he tell me that it wouldn't go bad, the noise would be the only thing i will notice but we will replace it if i decided so. i didn't want my new car with an open gear box, so i didint do nothing, my noise is there from the beginning but nothing bad happen...

Refer to my previous message above #2.

This is a common gearbox noise, just live with it as I doubt it will get any worse.

You may be experiencing this noise now as perhaps they have put the wrong oil in the gearbox which unfortunately is also a common issue. :surrender:

Alex. :)

Thanks. At least I know that's an option. I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from the US, there's a site that will work it out for you customs fees etc. It's £2500 for the same part in the UK so still might work out quite a bit cheaper.

My gearbox is ok now though, the noise hasn't got worse and I can only hear it on my quiet drive with the wall right next to it. I can live with it providing it's just a noisy gearbox and not my new clutch fitted wrong. I guess time will tell.