Scary moment....

Digsy

Did anyone else find the roads super-slippy in the rain today?

Now I've done 34k miles rain or shine and I reckon I've got a reasonable handle on how far you can push the Zed in the wet but as I took the slip road from the M60 onto the M62 (a fairly gentle curve for those that don't know it), travelling at a modest pace in fifth, I squeezed the throttle pretty gently and the back end stepped out enough to require some swift correction and an equally swift tightening of ones sphincter! :scare:

Obviously it was very wet but I really don't think I was pushing it. The stability/traction control didn't activate at all. If that had been it I would have put it down to some diesel/oil on the road but I definitely had a couple of wiggles on the road up to the Cat & Fiddle - again at what I would call a fairly moderate wet weather pace.

I'm wondering if it was just the roads being greasy as we haven't had that much rain in the last couple of weeks. Nevertheless, I'll be checking the rear tyre pressures and anything else I can think of just in case.

Anyone else have any ideas?

OK guys, I seem to remember a similar thing this time last year.....

PLEASE take it easy out there in the first few rainy days. The roads get coated in dust and sap while the 'summer' is here. It may not have been hot, but it's been fairly dry for a few weeks now. The first moisture on the roads isn't just water, it becomes a slippery liquid. Once we've had some rain a few times it'll clean the roads up a bit. Last year there were two or three biggish accidents on here. :blush:

Glad it was all ok though Digsy! :thumbs:

Did anyone else find the roads super-slippy in the rain today?

Now I've done 34k miles rain or shine and I reckon I've got a reasonable handle on how far you can push the Zed in the wet but as I took the slip road from the M60 onto the M62 (a fairly gentle curve for those that don't know it), travelling at a modest pace in fifth, I squeezed the throttle pretty gently and the back end stepped out enough to require some swift correction and an equally swift tightening of ones sphincter! :scare:

Obviously it was very wet but I really don't think I was pushing it. The stability/traction control didn't activate at all. If that had been it I would have put it down to some diesel/oil on the road but I definitely had a couple of wiggles on the road up to the Cat & Fiddle - again at what I would call a fairly moderate wet weather pace.

I'm wondering if it was just the roads being greasy as we haven't had that much rain in the last couple of weeks. Nevertheless, I'll be checking the rear tyre pressures and anything else I can think of just in case.

Anyone else have any ideas?

No problems for me yesterday Digsy and my rears are getting close to the limit, but then again i do give the Bridgestones respect when it's wet. :)

i must say, it is pretty slippery at the moment. Don't forget though your tyres would have worn abit since you had your wheels fitted. You don't notice the wear as much in the dry but as soon as we get a good bit of rain it shows up. I had a bottom twitching moment earlier this week in the wet too. I was traveling down a dual carraigway at around 40mph and as i braked for a set of lights my tyre dipped into a grid, the car wagged a few times and i had to counter steer a couple of times to settle it down. As i wasn't traveling too fast and taking it easy i wasn't ready for it at all and it gave me abit of a shock. My heart was pounding for the next 5 minutes.

I do think part of it is down to the fact that we haven't had much rain lately, making the roads that bit greasier when it does rain.

didn't have any problems coming back from the cat and fiddle and you were following me for most of it.

What tyres have you got on.

The sliding was on the way there - not on the way back following you, Grandad! :p

Tyres are Falken FK452s and only have 7k easy miles on them so I don't think they're the problem. :)

didn't have any problems coming back from the cat and fiddle and you were following me for most of it.

The sliding was on the way there - not on the way back following you, Grandad! :p

Tyres are Falken FK452s and only have 7k easy miles on them so I don't think they're the problem. :)

Perhaps you should get some 'stones. I hear the RE040s were recommended for the Z!

(Sorry couldn't resist :p - and we haven't had rain here for two weeks so the coating on the surfaces should be building up nicely now! :wacko:

*cough* cheap tyres *cough*

*cough* cheap tyres *cough*

:bleh:

was going slow so you could keep up with me and also knowing that your better half isn't the best of travellers :p

was going slow so you could keep up with me and also knowing that your better half isn't the best of travellers :p

:lol: Fair play.

My daily driver is a ford ranger pick up, 99% of the time is rear wheel drive with no traction control. I absolutely hate the first shower after 2-3 dry days, the rain lifts all the detritus back out of the road. And it will wag it's tail without any provocation

It takes a good heavy shower, to clean the road but until then, i do drive the seat of the pants.

This has made me a more attentive driver in the Z when it's damp, but i would encourage anyone to just back off, and (hating the cliche) expect the unexpected

Dave

Digsy, ive got falkens all round too and dont seem to have too much trouble in the wet.

I actually only got the front falkens fitted on monday and all i can say is that the car is a different animal- very grippy, very planted and has basically changed it into a much better handling car. Granted the p-zeros i had on the front before were well worn, but they made the car "interesting" shall we say- it was tramlining like a pig and gave horrible wheel judder at speed. That said though my last day on them (sun) consisted of a 100 miles round trip on the roads of north wales in some pretty wet conditions! Didnt have any issues there so maybe its worth giving your pressures a check as has been said.

Not wanting to tempt fate but the zed is a lot better to drive in the wet than my s2000 was, the ESP seems to help there a lot though! Actually made me chuckle the other day when, while coming round a r'bout (on my worn p-zeros) i had to apply a liberal dose of power oversteer to point me in the right direction as my front tyres refused to grip and sent me understeering straight towards the kerb! There are some merits to having rwd and bags of torque!

On the contrary though, i witnessed an old E36 bmw have an accident on mon- he was coming off a r'bout up the A483, had obviously given it "a bit too much" and got himself into a massive tank slapper coming up the bypass which ended in him doing a 360 across the road and down the verge...must have been a pant soiling moment for him, but i think the queue of traffic that i was in on the opposite side of the road was equally bricking it as there was only a load of armco between us and the ever more out of control beemer....:scare:

duly noted though and im sure the zed over the coming months will be an interesting beast...

It's unlikely to be tyres. Cheap or not, Falken make a good tyre for wet and dry use.

It's just dirty roads with rain turning to a sludgy material. :)

Yeah so good I've seen em on Ferraris etc now....

Just Sarnie being a label freak! :p

It's unlikely to be tyres. Cheap or not, Falken make a good tyre for wet and dry use.

It's just dirty roads with rain turning to a sludgy material. :)

Yeah so good I've seen em on Ferraris etc now....

Just Sarnie being a label freak! :p

I just like to keep my car on the road :p

Im still running on the Bridgestones, had a few slips, but I think when I had those the tyres wouldnt have made much of a difference (sheet ice for example).

Some tyres are invariably better than others, but if Im honest I think the only time you will notice this difference is when driving the car hard, bearing in mind I havent driven on anything other than the RE040's on the Z, I have no experience on which to base that though.