Removal of radiator cooling fans without removing the radiator

nath8642

I am looking for help.

today I began the job of removing my fans as I had a problem with the suspected fan motors. I now face a problem as I can't get the suckers out.

I have looked at other forums but they all go on to bleeding and so fourth. I have drained the radiator empty of all coolants. I have took a overflow bottle out and took the big cooling pipe out that's right next to the bottle going over the fans. I have obviously electrically disconnected it and removed the screws so it's completly free from anything.

However I just can't lift the fans out I really do not want to remove the radiator is there any easy guide on how to remove the fans without removing the radiator I can't even get the things out never mind getting them back in scratching everything on the way down. So I'm looking for a quick easy method with pictures or video if anyone has them available ill be carrying on my work tomorrow now so e more info the better.

Looks like you have to remove the radiator:

From 2012 thread:

* Remove drain plug at bottom of radiator & empty into a bowl

* Remove upper & lower radiator hoses and also the hose from the overflow tank to the radiator

* Remove 2 screws holding fans into the radiator core, disconnect the fan wires & lift out fans (I found this a lot easier to do with the intake removed)

* Remove the 2 plastic covers on the front slam panel to reveal 2 bolts - remove these

* Turn 2 rubber mounts at the top of the radiator & the 2 rubber feet at the bottom of the radiator

* Remove the radiator core

Radiator does not require removal, nor does draining the a rad a requirement,

Under tray off.

Unplug the loom block connectors.

Remove the 2 x top bolts.

Remove the top rad hose.

If PAS pipe gets in the way, then just loosen the large bolt on the PAS pump.

Then just lift complete fan unit assembly upwards.

A simple 15 minute job.

As you have drained the rad it will now take you so much longer just to bleed the system. :surrender:

Alex. :)

• Like 1

Pfft 15 min I did this a took all day and it's still not out ha sorry to sound daft but what is the PAS pipe I know I wanted to do it though as I had an over heat and bubbles was every where so thought I would drain it all and fill it once the fans was out to make sure

And also can somebody send me a link over for the correct coolant to be put back in

Link for coolant from Horsham Developments: http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=78_169_293_1418&products_id=25498

;)

^^ :lol:

Always love those "let me google that for you" links Alex. :D Lol. ;)

quick question after trying to pull the fans out without success pulling pipes out of the bottom of the radiator and liquids i did not know coming out i decided to just take it to a garage.

But just wondered is there any way of removing the fan motors out without even touching your fans or radiator and if so how?

Pfft 15 min I did this a took all day and it's still not out ha sorry to sound daft but what is the PAS pipe I know I wanted to do it though as I had an over heat and bubbles was every where so thought I would drain it all and fill it once the fans was out to make sure

Power Assisted Steering :)

quick question after trying to pull the fans out without success pulling pipes out of the bottom of the radiator and liquids i did not know coming out i decided to just take it to a garage.

But just wondered is there any way of removing the fan motors out without even touching your fans or radiator and if so how?

Read post # 5:

Alex.

You may all be fed up of me asking questions now but I have another Ive know removed the fans easy once you know how and confidence on what you are doing.

However question I drained the radiator coolant by removing the outlet and draining I was just wondering what the other two pipes are at the bottom of the rad a lot smaller and a oily kind of red liquid came out of both first time I did this I wasn't sure but I'm fed up of not having my car now so I got some mole grips and clamped the pipes shut so no liquid came out of them not that much seemed to be dripping out of the rad. I had tissue to block the pipes just in case but they wasn't needed.

What was this liquid? Are the the same liquid? What's the purpose of them being there? And when inserting my new fan and reconnecting all my pipes back up will I have to been this pipe or something like the coolant or just make sure whatever it is the level is still good?

With the greatest of respect mate, I would advise you just to get a garage to complete this job for you.

There is no rocket science involved with this job, however you do require a bit of basic mechanical knowledge.

I am guessing that you have an automatic, which in that case the red fluid may be transmission fluid.

Edited by ZMANALEX
  • Like 1

Yes I do mate and I think it's abit late for that the fans out hooked up and ready to go in when it stops raining. I just wanted to learn from my mistakes really by doing it myself get an idea around a car.

More to the point is there any sort of procedure I need to check with the transmission fluid like bleeding etc. I dunno

Yes, you will have to top up the transmission fluid and also the power steering fluid which will require bled.

You will also have to bleed the coolant system.

Guides for these procedures should be in the guides section.

However, as said previously even though I admire your gallantry, best to get a pro to finish this off for you, or at the very least have a read at the workshop manual as my fingers and keyboard are getting worn out.

Haha sorry buddy I did try like I said rang Nissan and they wouldn't touch it saying they didn't have a import parts book or something I tried to round my area and just got fed up and did it myself a tiny tine amount of power steering and transmission fluid did come out then if that is what them two small pipes are.

I will get searching now and carry on tomorrow I know how to bleed my coolant not too sure about the power steering doubt I'll have to top up the transmission I watched a YouTube video and there seems to be loads in there and only a smidge came out in comparison managed to get the mole grips on before too much came out.

I'll have my warm up tomorrow top the coolants up have a test run and if I still have problems I promise you I'll take it to a pro.

Cheers