Brake problem, help needed...

Ash007

hi all,

need some help and advice.

i have been recently getting some grinding noises intermittently when i hit the brakes and feels like my pads are low.

when i drive off after letting off the brakes i can hear some metal turning and then dissapears.

I recently changed my front pads to ds2500 in january and checked the front pads yesterday, they are fine and have enough pad left.

I didnt have time to check the rears, should a light come on, if the rears are low too??

has anyone else had this prob or does anyone know what it could be??

grateful for any advice.

thanks

hi all,

need some help and advice.

i have been recently getting some grinding noises intermittently when i hit the brakes and feels like my pads are low.

when i drive off after letting off the brakes i can hear some metal turning and then dissapears.

I recently changed my front pads to ds2500 in january and checked the front pads yesterday, they are fine and have enough pad left.

I didnt have time to check the rears, should a light come on, if the rears are low too??

has anyone else had this prob or does anyone know what it could be??

grateful for any advice.

thanks

There are no lights on the zed to warn you about low pad depths.

My first port of call would be to check the rear pads and then check all of your disks :thumbs:

BTW how many miles has your zed done? Is it still on the original disks? Anything more than 25k and your disks would normally need changing soon I would of thought :)

yeah i checked the discs, but what else should i look for on the disc to let me know its knackered, its looks fine to me, i dont see any uneven wear on it, or any deep scratches.

the car has done 19500 miles, i changed the front pads around 10000, rears are still original.

i have just spoken to a mate and will have the car on ramps tomorrow, so will hopefully find out whats going on.

cheers for the info all.

yeah i checked the discs, but what else should i look for on the disc to let me know its knackered, its looks fine to me, i dont see any uneven wear on it, or any deep scratches.

the car has done 19500 miles, i changed the front pads around 10000, rears are still original.

i have just spoken to a mate and will have the car on ramps tomorrow, so will hopefully find out whats going on.

cheers for the info all.

nearly 20k on the rears seems a lot to me, maybe thats it :blush:

yeah i really do hope its just pads.

but what i don't understand is, that if it were the rears then my handbrake should be affected should it not. even moved the car slightly with handbrake on, and it feel tight and no noises..

anyway hopefully find prob tomorrow. cheers

But the handbrake will be applied when the car is stationary and the force of metal on metal will hold it in place - pretty much. The pad wearing you will feel more when you are in motion and stopping, eventhough the fronts do most of the braking, you will hear noises from the rear.

BTW how many miles has your zed done? Is it still on the original disks? Anything more than 25k and your disks would normally need changing soon I would of thought :)

Not sure if its a sign of how softly my cars been driven (got it with 27 on the clock now 36) but I have only just changed the brakes all round and the backs had a surprising amount still on there.

99% sure they had not been done before as I have receipts for everything else that had been done

But the handbrake will be applied when the car is stationary and the force of metal on metal will hold it in place - pretty much. The pad wearing you will feel more when you are in motion and stopping, eventhough the fronts do most of the braking, you will hear noises from the rear.

The handbrake is a separate drum-type brake that acts on the inside of the bell on the rear disk, so worn rear pads will make no difference to the handbrake.

Rears always wear less than the fronts cos of the bias in braking to the front; 30,000 miles for rear pads is certainly possible.

OK, had the car up on ramps last night and the problem lies with the rear brake pads.

On visual inspection the outside pads seem perfect, however the ones on the inside have worn down so much its unbelievable. I have ordered new pads now and will hopefully get to fit them on Friday. (thanks Bigphil)

I was thinking of taking it to Nissan and getting them to look at the caliper, would this be covered under warranty? I mean shouldn't both pads be worn down equally?

thanks

Ash

OK, had the car up on ramps last night and the problem lies with the rear brake pads.

On visual inspection the outside pads seem perfect, however the ones on the inside have worn down so much its unbelievable. I have ordered new pads now and will hopefully get to fit them on Friday. (thanks Bigphil)

I was thinking of taking it to Nissan and getting them to look at the caliper, would this be covered under warranty? I mean shouldn't both pads be worn down equally?

thanks

Ash

The rears do tend to wear quicker on the inside.

thanks

Ash

Yay I was right :yahoo:

Glad you got it sorted :thumbs: