help with credit card

sinbad

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, that was too dodgy for words! We all know you will wait a long time to get the right car - what sort of person says I have to have it this weekend? He was definitely a 'wrong un'. You've had a lucky escape. It was probably either a stolen card or something to do with identity theft. Cash or bankers draft only. Remember with a bankers draft (branch cheque) the cash has already gone from the persons account, it is the bank that are paying you and as such cannot be cancelled. Any genuine person would be happy for you to talk to their bank and confirm it has gone from their account and is legit. :thumbs:

I agree, that was too dodgy for words! We all know you will wait a long time to get the right car - what sort of person says I have to have it this weekend? He was definitely a 'wrong un'. You've had a lucky escape. It was probably either a stolen card or something to do with identity theft. Cash or bankers draft only. Remember with a bankers draft (branch cheque) the cash has already gone from the persons account, it is the bank that are paying you and as such cannot be cancelled. Any genuine person would be happy for you to talk to their bank and confirm it has gone from their account and is legit. :thumbs:

Have at look here...

http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/sec ... _fraud.htm

"As it is most likely an attempt at FRAUD with you as the intended victim. This is because a stolen cheque or bankers draft can be recalled by the bank even after the funds have gone through the clearing cycle and are showing on your account."

My advice - unless its a week day and you can confirm with the issuing bank the draft is genuine and not stolen...wait until you can....you WILL lose if it is a fraudulent transaction...you have no defence. Don't imagine for one moment the police or your bank will try to help you...you'll be on your own.

Here endeth the lesson :thumbs:

/P

Guest prescience

Just a quick one to note that whilst you are spot on with what happens with a Bankers Draft, it is in fact possible to cancel one - although you would probably need to go to a big busy branch for even the bank to know about this process. When I bought the Z I had my wallet nicked the night or two nights before I was due to pick it up and it had the Bankers Draft in it. It took 5 days for another to be re-issued and fortunately I worked close to the Nat West branch in Tot. Court Road and they helped me sort it (once again thanks to Scott of Nat West, you saved my neck on that occasion :thumbs: )

that's a bit different because you lost it and I presume had it re-issued to the same person? If you wanted to cancel one because you changed your mind and wanted the money back I don't think you can - well you couldn't when I worked in a bank anyway.

Cheers all. Its a dodgy business selling your car :blush::dry:

Well ive had two offers since, one is £1k short of what i want and the other is £500 short. Will just have to wait abit longer............ Can't believe it hasn't sold yet..

Just catchin up on this Sinbad, defo a lucky escape fella. If that guy wanted the cash that bad he could of got it - simple as.

Fingers crossed for you mate, I can't believe she's still for sale either!

Just catchin up on this Sinbad, defo a lucky escape fella. If that guy wanted the cash that bad he could of got it - simple as.

Fingers crossed for you mate, I can't believe she's still for sale either!

I've seen a few sellers on E*bay stating - if you pay by cash you must bring it to my bank and pay it in - seems a good idea, you get to find out if its genuine money and when they ask you where you obtained it you can say 'im 'ere! and point :thumbs: maybe a bit OTT but might save you a load of agro in the future.

Well, ive sold my car to a dealer. Ive agreed to accept a Bankers draft, what checks can i make to be sure its legit? Ive been on "companies house" web check to check the company and i'm planning on letting the bank check the draft over too, to ensure its good. Anything else i can do?

Should i post up the company name to see if people have heard of them? From what i can understand from the Companies house website is that they started trading in 2002.

Thanks all!

bankers drafts can be recalled up to 2 weeks after you have cashed it even if the bank says it's all fine when you deposit it.

I would keep hold of the car documents until it has cleared properly or better still the best and safest way is cash.

bankers drafts can be recalled up to 2 weeks after you have cashed it even if the bank says it's all fine when you deposit it.

I would keep hold of the car documents until it has cleared properly or better still the best and safest way is cash.

Which documents?

Would that be reasonable?

Yep, just as much hassle getting cash as bankers draft. They are a car dealer and probably are happy enough carrying large sums of cash about. If they aren't then you could offer to take control of the cash in their bank and deposit at your bank!

Or just do a money transfer! It's easier than them all!

he's travelling 4+ hours to come and collect the car and doesn't want to carry the cash with him. If he was to get a bankers draft from my home town would he need to let the bank know prior to widthdrawing it as you do with cash because its such a large amount?

I'm speaking with him soon, so i'll discuss the options with him.

Should i post up the company name to see if people have heard of them? or would that be wrong?

Guest prescience

I would suggest visiting your bank in advance and laying out your concerns and get from the horse's mouth their end-end policy in regards to Bankers Drafts and CHAPS transfers

I would regard it as unreasonable if you asked me to wait 2 weeks when I have presented you with a Bankers Draft and would probably walk away :)

ok spoke to my bank, they said a bankers draft is more secure than a BACS transfer. I can get validation from the bank that the cheque is legitimate and i can ask for an express service so the cheque clears quicker for £12 - £20. Its alittle more complicated if the cheque is from a different bank that mine but still checks can be made.

Also a Bankers draft cannot be recalled after it is in my posession. It can only be recalled with my permission or if the draft is not legitimate.

I would have to ring the bank where the cheque was supplied (barclays, Halifax etc..) to have the Cheque verified.

That sounds good to me. I don't see how posting up the company name would affect you. Any comments people make on the company are speculative and it's totally up to you whether you take them on board.

he's travelling 4+ hours to come and collect the car and doesn't want to carry the cash with him. If he was to get a bankers draft from my home town would he need to let the bank know prior to widthdrawing it as you do with cash because its such a large amount?

Should i post up the company name to see if people have heard of them? or would that be wrong?

If he insists on a bankers draft ask him for the serial number and the branch where he withdrew it. Call the bank, explain the situation and ask for confirmation that the serial number you have been given is legit. :blush:

If he insists on a bankers draft ask him for the serial number and the branch where he withdrew it. Call the bank, explain the situation and ask for confirmation that the serial number you have been given is legit. :blush:

I will definately be doing this! It would be so easy for them to send me a photocopy of a legit cheque then change the details and hand me a fake one when he collects the car. I think the best thing is to wait until i have the cheque in my hand and then ask where+when he got the cheque and then ring the bank to clarify the details.

The company is

http://www.norwichsportsandclassics.co.uk

It does all seem legit, but i just want to be safe.

I think I looked at a Zed with them. I mean it came up on Autotrader!

Looking at the number of Zeds they have makes them seem ok. See if anyone has had any experience with them.

Spot on - if they are legit they will not mind calling the bank for you and letting you speak to them.