Window Tinting - Help

Kev946

Can some one please recommend a place in the Derbyshire or Manchester area who can do a good job on privacy glass tinting for a 4x4? I'd even consider travelling on a recommendation.

Also, what %age tint and colour should I be going for and what kind of cost should I expect.

Never had any tinting done before so all advice appreciated.

Thanks

K

Kev,

I'm sure you've read up, but you can't have the front door windows done (except a minimal manufacturer tint), and as for the cost it depends on how big the 4x4 is and how tricky it is to fit.

I had limo black on my rear window, 75% tint on rear windows, and 35% (maximum for front before the law) on the front windows. I didn't pay much more than a couple of hundred, but that's down to having family in the trade. I would say it shouldn't be much more than £300?

Pic for reference

440frontmodnats04plate.jpg

440rearmodnats04plate.jpg

It's up to you mate. I went for limo black on the rear as the car was so low and I got fed up with being blinded by people's lights!

I would say anything from 65% - limo would be a rear window level. However, it depends if you just want a light smoke, so 15-35% could be where you want it. All up to you! ;)

The only company I know and would recommend is just off the M40 / M25 junction. A bit of a trek for the tints I'd guess. :)

Don't know if you've had it done yet but when i went for mine they showed me loads of examples and even showed me his own tinted car to compare against and see what i liked best. He also showed me the DVLA/MOT thingy telling you what was legal and what was not because its not all Black and white when it comes to the law on tinting. I found that my tints look dark from the outside/looking in but only marginally darker than standard from the inside/out which is great for visability through the day and night.

I went for a light front tint, darker on the rear quarters and even darker on the back window. But if i were to do it again i'd keep the rear quarters and back window the same % tint.

When you go i'd recommend looking at some examples first before you decide on your % tints. I dont think you can really choose before you've had a look at them in the flesh.

I am not sure on your car, but i assume the glass already has already a level of tint , same as the ZED ( perhaps in the region of 15%), now the tinting companies I have spoken to in Bedford area, only go as low as 35% tint film, which if you add it to the 20% already puts you in the illegal side ... you then need to judge the risk of being pulled over ( and on most cases it is very very low, unless you ride around in LIMO type tint...)

From a previous thread on tinting on the legalities...

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/reposit ... 202005.pdf

The legal position is that the front side windows on all cars must allow 70% of light to pass through them. That figure also applies to the windscreens of cars first used before April 1985; any car first used from then onwards has to let 75% of light through the windscreen.

The level of light transmission is measured by metering units which cost up to £500 each. Supplying them for roadside checks across the country has cost VOSA £13,000. Another way of doing it would have been to include the measurement as part of the MOT test, but since there are 18,000 MOT test centres in the UK the equipment budget would have rocketed to £90 million, and the extra time added to the test would have led to an increase in the fee - all this for a very small proportion of UK cars.

If the meter registers figures better than those mentioned above during a roadside check, there is no problem. If between 45% and 65% of light gets through, the driver is advised to have the tinting removed, failure to do which might result in a prosecution and a fine of up to £2000.

The whole thread can be found herewith pics at the end

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... ng&start=0

:p

I don't believe you own a zed, i reckon your just nicking pics off the net :bleh:

He does! Ive been in it ;)

The pics will be coming, ive got dibs on taking the first shots :thumbs:

You gonna take pics of mine today? Its a bit dirty at the moment...... :blush:

I don't believe you own a zed, i reckon your just nicking pics off the net :bleh:

Yeah will do mate, we can always get a quick clean somewhere, a hand wash place that i trust here in coventry as sarah's dad used to go there. Or i have a bucket and sponge here at Sarah's. You can clean it yourself ;) I only have the small camera but it takes awesome pics to say the least.

Yeah will do mate, we can always get a quick clean somewhere, a hand wash place that i trust here in coventry as sarah's dad used to go there. Or i have a bucket and sponge here at Sarah's. You can clean it yourself ;) I only have the small camera but it takes awesome pics to say the least.

I'm sorry but no Albanian refugee is cleaning my car :surrender: I'll do it myself if i get time, in between here and facebook :teeth:

I'm sorry but no Albanian refugee is cleaning my car :surrender: I'll do it myself if i get time, in between here and facebook :teeth:

Whats the difference between an Albanian refugee and you, thought you were both the same? :p I almost gave you a sponge and a Fiver when I last saw you :lol::p

Whats the difference between an Albanian refugee and you, thought you were both the same? :p I almost gave you a sponge and a Fiver when I last saw you :lol::p

Clown :p

Or i have a bucket and sponge here at Sarah's.

A sponge!! :headhurt:

I was kidding, lol, i have a microfibre cleaning cloth. Only the best :thumbs:

Liam - dont knock them, they clean the guys - who works opposite their garage - Yellow Gallardo everyday pretty much as i always see it in there when im up here.

Liam - dont knock them, they clean the guys - who works opposite their garage -

Are we still talking about cleaning cars never heard of that service before, do you go there often Louis? :p:lol:

Liam - dont knock them, they clean the guys - who works opposite their garage -

Are we still talking about cleaning cars never heard of that service before, do you go there often Louis? :p:lol:

haha very funny. Quite the funny guys arnt we ;)

I know a good BUFFING service though ;)