Where's my oil going?

ianboom

I have a '54 plate UK 350Z with 85k on the clock.I did an oil change 1500 miles ago (just after I bought the car) with genuine Nissan oil filter and motul eco energy 5w30 oil.

I've had to top the oil up by 1 litre in that time.

There are no oil leaks. When I booted it a few weeks ago the wife was following and said a cloud of black smoke came out, but every time I booted it after that, there was no smoke.

I do 10 miles a day (so very short journeys).

I get no smoke on start up or after sitting at the lights or in traffic.

Checked the PCv valve and it rattles when shaken, opens when blown one way, but doesnt fully close when blown the other way. It seems to settle with the valve partially open as if the spring is weak.

Soooo, where's my oil going? What can I try to resolve the problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ian

For starters replace the one way valve in the PCV system, if this is staying partially open it will not only be allowing extra unmeatered air into the intake when not at idle, so causing weak AFRs, it will also suck a lot of oil into the plenum and so get burned.

I had a similar problem on my Zed that to this day remains unsolved afaik ... consumption was 1 litre per 1000 miles and no sign of where the oil was going ... that's why I traded it rather than sell it here

With the de engine on that mileage this only seems a little more than I would expect, depending on how heavy your foot is. I had mine serviced a week before Wales and when I got home some 800 miles later I needed the best part of a lt top up, I have 98k on the clock.

Worth watching and getting checked out if your worried though.

Not sure how the pcv valve should sit at idle, need to buy a new one to compare, but they're £30-may have to take a chance.

Seems its not an uncommon problem. Don't think its blow by, I reckon its something to do with the pcv system as the oil must be being burnt.

Pcv valve is on the UK drivers side just next to the plug at the front of the engine. 1 minute job to replace!

Change the oil to something else. I found Motul 8100 very think in my DE engine. Mobil 1 was a lot better.

Looked in to that, may go for mobil1 5w40 or shell to tell a 5w40 if I can find it in the UK.

• Like 1