MPH speedo clock on JDM?

jamess115

I am considering buying a UK set of clocks for the Fairlady as the speedo on my car is calibrated in Km/h with no MPH indicator. I have previously tried a couple of Speedo converters which I have found to be crap basically. Fleabay are selling MPH clocks previously used on UK zed's and I am wondering if anyone knows whether simply removing mine and replacing with a UK set of clocks would give me an accurate MPH reading? Any help would be appreciated.

If you want the trip computer on the triple gauges to read mph that's a straight swap, you will need a heater brain for the clock to work however. There's a how to guide on these forums

If you want the trip computer on the triple gauges to read mph that's a straight swap, you will need a heater brain for the clock to work however. There's a how to guide on these forums

I have done nothing to my heater brain and clock works (presumably you mean speedo)

Nope clock as in tick tock function on the trip computer gauge. My JDM had no time display and displayed all readings in l/km . Swapped it for a UK set and then you gain clock tick tock function plus all the others in imperial. To make the clock work you need to change the heater brain as well

*Folks, I need to make an amendment to my original post because some of this info is not correct*

As I need some help with this, I will try and be as clear as possible..

The car I drive is a JDM. When I purchased it from a UK trader, the speedo guage was in MPH (see below). At this time, the car was equipped with a Km/h to MPH speedo converter. This did not give me an accurate MPH indication so I had the old converter removed (thinking it was faulty) and replaced with another converter. MPH indication is still indicating about 8MPH too fast.

My objective is to get an accurate MPH reading from my speedo.

It may be a stupid question but if I were to remove the Speedo converter currently fitted, could anyone tell me if I will get an accurate MPH reading on my MPH Speedo despite the car being an import & calibrated for Km/h?

Would a good alternative be to remove my speedo and replace with one calibrated in Km/h with an additional MPH indication?

Thanks in anticipation for any help as this is driving me potty .

post-21929-0-63771900-1404070759_thumb.jpg

James forgive if me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but you are aware there is a around a 10% tolerance on most speedos. For example on my 2014 Honda Civic when my Satnav reads 70mph the speedo is reading 77mph. My 350z is about the same so things is you will never get a speedo 100% accurate

I agree and understand this, but following my wife in her Ka at a fixed speed, the digital readout (indicating roughly the correct MPH but with Km/h indication) is a good 7-10mph slower than the analogue speedo indication. I have tried following this main speedo but i'm getting peoples headlights burning into the back of my head. There is an error and I need to somehow get it sorted. Thanks for your reply

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought it was that accurate because of the car had sat nav and it took the reading from that, although reading what ahv just typed it sounds a little far fetched... The satnav in the Z though calculates speed by positioning using satelites and using an input from the road wheel sensor, the book reads how using both makes positioning and speed more accurate... I was using my Gamin Zumo to check how close the speedo was, the digital one in the pod is bang on...

Guys, I have this with my JDM, but just got used to it I guess?? By the way don't get caught in the Sat Nav speedo trap as I questioned this whilst sitting with a traffic cop and was told that for speeding offences don't trust your sat nave as it is actually not real time and data is transferred through the atmospher and dependant on how many sate lights it can see and weather etc it will be upto 3-4 seconds behind. Just saying hope it helps?