Newbie Quick Help Buying 370Z GT Saturday Advice Needed

ZZZ_2306

As the title says I'm a newbie buying a 370Z on Saturday, 2010 plate 24K (paddleshift) miles and is still under warranty with Nissans Cared4 warranty.

Does this give/should give me an extra bit of piece of mind?

Anything at all that I should look for or be wary off.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated you seem like a good bunch on here.

Thanks

Welcome along :thumbs:

The only thing I can think of is to make sure it has had the steering lock recall done which I think the2010 model falls into.

I'm sure others will be along to tell you more.

That's great thank you! Will be sure to book that in under recall if it hadn't had it done just wondered if there was anything else apart from the obvious making sure it's been serviced on time, it's still under warranty which Nissan assure me is valid and is much the same as normal warranty as if I had bought a new car. If that's the case then I have some peace of mind

I've been thinking for a while that someone ought to do a buyer's guide. Not sure how to get it started but the number of 'what should I look out for threads' suggests it might be useful.

The good news is that they're very reliable and issues aren't common. Having had three 370s my list of suggestions for issues to consider and things to look for is (in no particular order).

- Boot release - does the boot pop properly. Most have an issue with the springs. Its not a big deal but it does mean the boot doesn't clear the latch properly when you press the release button. It just means you need two hands to open it

- Interior - check for wear on the Alcantara parts of the seats and door handles and the plastic parts can scratch easily

- Stone chips - the bumpers and side skirts are quite prone to this, as are the callipers. You've got to expect a few on a used car of course

- Exhaust. Does it still have the stock exhaust? If so, bad luck. You'll be wanting to put a grand or so aside for something that will actually make it sound like a sports car. Luckily there are lots of choices. Even if you're not into modding cars (I'm not) this is an essential mod for the 370

- Steering lock recall issue. Only an issue if the car was built at a particular point in 2010 or before - do a search on the forum. There's a thread somewhere that shows which VIN numbers were affected. If your car is in that bracket you need to check that the work was done to rectify the issue.

- Tyres. You're unlikely to get more than 13000 miles out of a set. Cost of a decent set of replacements - £800 - £1000

- Fuel. Do not run on anything under 97RON. The inside of the petrol cap says 98 but 97 and above is fine (don't buy into the myth that 99 will turn it into some sort of space rocket)

- Alloys. Remarkable how many dealers will try and get away with scuffed alloys. Check carefully and make refurbishment a condition of your purchase.

Finally, welcome along and enjoy your new car.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 5

Very sound advice thanks fella! I have read about the steering lock issue and I will check the vin and make sure the work is done if not, I'm not actually buying from a dealer but privately from someone that's not long had it from a dealer so there is still 8 months warranty on it. Any niggles I find I will make sure Nissan sort it.

Apart from the servicing then to make sure it's had them on time, I did see the yanks where having oil changes every 3K miles but I assume that does not apply to us in the UK and that it should be fine on the standard P service schedules?

The guy assures me the car is mint and that I won't find a thing wrong with it, alloys all unmarked (I'll be having them done high gloss black anyway)

Check the gearbox and clutch. Check for noises when pushing and releasing the clutch when not in gear. If you hear anything it could be the clutch release bearing. The gearbox is quite mechanical feeling though anyways.

If under warranty that's good mostly because if the clutch and gearbox

• 3 weeks later...