Preventing premature shock failure on lowered cars

gstraw

Hey

My brother in law has an m3 and it's common knowledge on that forum that in order to keep the shocks operating in the zone they are designed for, they shave 10mm off the top mount and either put another bump stop on or cut the existing one (it's rubber)

My qu is has anyone on here tried anything like this? So it's almost like the suspension just sits a bit lower

Sounds like BMW owners being cheapo's backing up not spending out on some other rubbish.

If you get proper lowering springs they will have a harder spring rate to compensate for the reduced amount of travel in the shock. The problem I've heard of on other cars is that people buy cheap springs which have the same spring rate as the originals, they're just shorter. Doing this means that the shocks are very bouncy with less room to travel so it could potentially cause issues I guess.

NA I disagree.

I've heard more times than not shocks wearing out on lowering springs

Also the springs are stiffer but with the springs siting 30mm lower to start with, they are causing travel on a part or the damper that's not designed to always be travelling.

The m3 suspension isn't identical- not sure why you reckon it would be but it's a coilovers setup like ours so although the same components will not be 'shaved off' we will have similar components that build up the space.

I've been here since 2008.

Lost count of how many cars have had lowering springs fitted.

I can't recall a single incidence of a damper failing due to that.

If so, surely it would be common practice to do what the M3 boys apparently do?

Much of the issue with damper failings is due to crap maintenance, crap roads, and crap speedbumps.