Which clutch and flywheel should i get?

dwallis

Morning All (sorry iff in wrong place or if i'm being too n00by), i've got a JDM 03' 350z only 52k miles, but i want to start modding the car and getting some more BHP out of the girl before i start making her look pretty :D so i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what clutch and flywheel to get please? I've only had her remapped and a k&n air filter put in, but i've got some de cat pipes i'm going to put on when the clutch and flywheel are replaced.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? And also point out any n00b mistakes i am making or that i'm likely to make along the way?

Thanks guys n gals.....some absolute beauties on here, very jealous!!

Welcome along :)

We are the Xtreme Clutch dealer for the UK and their Organic fast road kit would be perfect for what you have asked for. The complete clutch kit and lightweight flywheel are £695 for the pair.

More details here http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/86628-introducing-xtreme-clutch/

Any questions please ask

Welcome aboard dwallis. Can't go wrong with Clark Motorsports or any of the other traders on here tbh. They treat us very well. :D

If you're going for big power though like with FI in the future then definitely consider getting the best clutch/flywheel combo now that can handle the power you'd hope to be getting. Would be a real pita and expense doing it twice. ;)

• Like 1

Welcome aboard dwallis. Can't go wrong with Clark Motorsports or any of the other traders on here tbh. They treat us very well. :D

If you're going for big power though like with FI in the future then definitely consider getting the best clutch/flywheel combo now that can handle the power you'd hope to be getting. Would be a real pita and expense doing it twice. ;)

Great timing :thumbs: , i was just about to ask that as i plan to put FI in and a super charger in sometime in the future, hopefully next year.....but i've got my stupid wedding in the way first lol :bang:

Thanks GMballistic :)

Is your clutch worn? Or are you changing it because you want a lightweight flywheel?

The reason I ask, is because the stock clutch/fly is fine for most applications including a supercharger until it needs replacing.

My car has done over 30k miles FI on the OEM clutch and fly 20k of which with over 400 bhp without issue including a few track days. However, I have not been on a drag strip though.

Don't get me wrong, I will change to a lightened flywheel and uprated clutch when the time comes, but just letting you know it's not mandatory.

• Like 1

Is your clutch worn? Or are you changing it because you want a lightweight flywheel?

The reason I ask, is because the stock clutch/fly is fine for most applications including a supercharger until it needs replacing.

My car has done over 30k miles FI on the OEM clutch and fly 20k of which with over 400 bhp without issue including a few track days. However, I have not been on a drag strip though.

Don't get me wrong, I will change to a lightened flywheel and uprated clutch when the time comes, but just letting you know it's not mandatory.

Good question, there are two main reasons for me changing them which i've decided on after speaking to a few people and reading a number of articles on here, but i'm not overly sure which information amungst that is the truth :surrender: so i've just made some guess really

Firstly, there is no slipage from the clutch, it performs quite well, especially as i like to go fast all the time, i can't help it after having crappy cars most of my driving life :drive1 BUT there is a distinct noise or group of noises coming from underneath the car when i'm pulling off with the revs ranging from sub 1000 up to 1,200ish. Its not a loud noise but it can definitely be heard with the windows down, the first noise i've noticed is a tiny/ringing noise and the second noise is more machanical sounding (not really sure what i mean by that lol), so its more of a light crunching or grinding. This has been suggested that its the release baring which means the entire clutch needs replacing(this is what i've been told anyway, is this true?)....AND when you do that i know that you might as well change the flywheel as well.

Secondly, i was under the impressions that uprated clutch and flywheel mean mores BHP, but from what you've said and few other bits of information, begging to doubt whether thats true or not???

As i said before, any and all information/advice is greatly appreciated.

My main goal in all of this is to get my girl flying at over 400bhp, without ruining her.....and to also get her sounding pitch perfect, so no funny noises etc.

Edited by dwallis

if you think your current clutch is noisy wait till you fit a lightened single mass one......

Ahh yes, but that'll be the right kind of noise though won't it? Not like mine where is a strange tinny ring, with a lower mechanical grinding?

Obvs its very hard to discuss sounds over the forum lol :band:

Welcome, I've had my Zed about 3-4 months so far.

Unless the clutch is depressed at idle this is the loudest stock clutch I've ever owned.

Theres a distinct noise when its not depressed.

Is this what your referring to?

Welcome, I've had my Zed about 3-4 months so far.

Unless the clutch is depressed at idle this is the loudest stock clutch I've ever owned.

Theres a distinct noise when its not depressed.

Is this what your referring to?

Hi Z Dedicated, thanks for the welcome.

No the noise/s only start when either slightly diping the accelerator or pulling away in between revs of 600-1,200 (roughly).

when the car is just ticking over its got a lovely low hum (when warmed up) not very noisy at all really.

I had the same release bearing noise in my 200sx in all the 7 years I owned it and a similar noise in the 3 years I've had my Zed. If it is not slipping, or the DMF isn't causing a distinct judder when in use, its probably ok.

Thank you for the info, i think i'm going to see how it goes for the next few months. i've got a guy putting some de cats on this saturday and have asked him to check it out and see what he thinks. Luckily its someone i trust so i'm confident i'll get a straight answer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi gents,

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm also new to this forum this will be my first post - thanks in advance for all the wealth of information thats already helped me along with the purchase of mine and my brothers 2005 DE Roadster.

The clutch in our Z was very spongy when we first bought it so following some research we took it to Horsham Developments where Jez and Craig sorted us with a braided clutch line and flushed the system with Motul 600 which has solved the issue.

On a gentle track experience however I found when pushed the clutch started to slip under stress, and also 5-6 consecutive laps later it started to smell burnt.

I'm under the impression it's on its way out so have already bought an Exedy Organic clutch ready for replacement when it's far gone enough (it drive fine with no slippage in road conditions, even when occasionally driven enthusiastically).

Here comes the question. I've been reading a lot about lightweight vs dual mass flywheels, and I'm very close with ordering a Nismo flywheel for the DE from the US. It seems to be the best compromise between performance and minimum chatter. I also have a friend who is coming over next month so can potentially get away with shipping and duty costs, which begins to justify the £400 price tag inc. some bits. I'm assuming a flywheel designed to fit the US LHD Z will fit the UK spec as long as it's designed for the DE - would anyone here know otherwise?

Second question is the supplier in the US recommends also purchasing uprated clutch pivot ball and updated Roller Bearing Pilot Bushing. They're coming in at around £30 for both but does anyone here know if this would be necessary?

Finally should I consider any other parts before eventually booking it in for fitment?

The car is currently completely stock except for the updated clutch line and some hardened suspension bushes. I plan to fit a filter, plenum, sport cats and uprev at the same time as the clutch so should hopefully be targeting for 320 bhp or so.

Thanks in advance for any advice.