Any special considerations when test driving an automatic?

.Griff.

All being well I'm off to look at a 370 tomorrow. I've been on the forum, and researching, 370's for months and I'd like to think I know them pretty much inside out.

I was planning on going for a manual but an auto has come up for sale near me at a great price so I'm going to have a look tomorrow. Besides all the usual checks is there anything specific I should be looking for or listening for when it comes to the automatic gearbox?

From comments on here those that have auto's seem to love them and I can't recall any horror stories but I just want to be as educated as possible.

Griff

I haven't committed yet and my cash will stay firmly in my pocket until I'm happy.

Tomorrow will go a long way to deciding if an auto is for me but the purpose of the thread is to find out if there's any peculiarities and/or potential issues to look out for.

I haven't committed yet and my cash will stay firmly in my pocket until I'm happy.

Tomorrow will go a long way to deciding if an auto is for me but the purpose of the thread is to find out if there's any peculiarities and/or potential issues to look out for.

Fair enough, just trying to be helpful. :surrender:

Not tried an auto zed but previously owned other autos, I think both manual and autos both have advantages and disadvantages ..... Be good to hear how you get on with the paddles etc on your test drive, but personally I like the manual box in my zed as I'd been driving autos for the previous few years having a manual was for me a refreshing change

Good luck for your test drive :thumbs:

From what I've heard they are a bit "Marmite" Octet swears by his, Darren-b and Ebized have both driven one and they both prefer the manual version, the paddle shifters take a bit of getting used to but well worth the effort by all accounts.

.Griff. From your opening post, you've done the right thing and have been researching the 370 for months. I imagine you're now well aware of any 'issues', and let's be honest the major one seems to be the odd problem manual gearbox. Having spent more time on Zed forums than I care to admit to and as far as I'm aware, to date there hasn't been any problems with the auto transmission, either in the UK or the US, I'm sure someone will put me right on this...

I can honestly say that to date I've had zero problems with my auto, I guess that's what you want to hear ;)

Like you, I was set on a manual and had test driven a couple, I was certain it was the car for me. However, I was then offered the opportunity to try an auto and thought 'what's to lose', post test drive I parked up at the PDI bay, kept the keys in my pocket, walked into the dealership and said 'I'll take it'.

I guess you'll need to drive both, factor in your subject knowledge, the opinions you'll receive from this forum, then go for it! Good luck mate and let us know how you get on :) .

• Like 1

Slight anti-climax.. Called into work today but I'll take the test drive tomorrow instead and I'll update the thread afterwards.

Thank you to everyone who's replied :)

Update? How did the test drives go?