Blowing exhaust - can it be welded?

Ponsonby

Looks like my exhaust has gone in the usual place, where the back box mates with the centre pipe on the weld.

Very annoying because it is a 2009 car and apart from this crack, exhaust looks very good.

We will probably have a go at welding it tomorrow, has anyone tried this and had any luck?

If not I guess it may have to be a stainless steel replacement (and incur the wrath of my insurers) since I have now been quoted £320 for the 'standard' replacement by several exhaust companies.

Any traders out there doing a good deal on Scorpion or similar back box? Nothing too noisy!

I would be jumping on this as an excuse to upgrade!

Miltek would be suited for you, if you don't want noisy. I personally dont like the sound of Scorpion or the look of Cobra.

Yes tempted, but having just spent several £G's on a holiday my wallet hurts.

I would be jumping on this as an excuse to upgrade!

Miltek would be suited for you, if you don't want noisy. I personally dont like the sound of Scorpion or the look of Cobra.

Hoping that one of the traders comes back with a price I cannot refuse....

It can be welded, I had mine done when I first got the car. Cost me £40 I think for them to chop off the flange and put a sleeve over the two pipes to seal them together.

Yup, has now been done for the princely sum of £30. Hopefully it should last till I change insurer and then will get a replacement system.

It can be welded, I had mine done when I first got the car. Cost me £40 I think for them to chop off the flange and put a sleeve over the two pipes to seal them together.

Yup, has now been done for the princely sum of £30. Hopefully it should last till I change insurer and then will get a replacement system.

Mine lasted a year until the flexi's went in the Y pipe and I changed the whole system. Was still perfectly strong when it was removed. I'm pretty sure the new welded part will outlast the rest of the exhaust.

Hi,

If you do experience any problems with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Spam? Not sure?

Not at all :)

It was mentioned regarding notifying insurers about modifications - Just letting you guys know we're on standby if you have any issues!

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1