Clutch Tapping

VRichie

Hey guys firstly sorry about another clutch thread but my question is slightly different and I've done a quick search relating to my problem!

Had a 59 plate 370z for about a week now done 41k miles - seems unbelievably well looked after by the previous owner. (Brought from a Nissan main dealer). I've got the usual clutch issues:

-Clunky 1st - 2nd

-Clunk when taking foot off the clutch.

-idle grinding sound when clutch not engaged.

Gear box etc seems fine and the above problems sound like nothing to worry about, right?

The one different thing I've notice is when I press and hold the clutch down to the floor, I can feel a faint tapping on the sole of my foot every now and again. For example if I'm sat a lights in gear and keep my foot on the clutch waiting for lights to change.

Is this something I should get checked or is this similar to the common problems listed above?

Thanks in advance gents appreciate it.

Does it happen in Neutral too? Might be similar to my post:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/84138-370z-clutch-tappingknocking-noise/

It's always difficult to diagnose clutch issues without taking gearbox out which is fairly costly unless you feel confident in having a go yourself. If it's only doing it now and then and your car is out of warranty I would prob leave it and see if it gets worse or annoys the hell outta you (like it did me). At 41K it might be due a new clutch depending on how it's been driven. If you wanna get it sorted you might need a new flywheel or clutch (but prob best to do both if you're doing one or the other anyway)

Btw - the rest of the stuff you mentioned is normal for 370Z

If it's a clicking/clunk when taking your foot on/off clutch pedal and it does it when the engine isn't running then might be linkage/hinges on the pedal assembly needing lubing up. I'm currently trying to get rid of mine! Sprayed every joint and the spring - has reduced it a bit but think it needs working a bit first then repeating a couple of times

Grinding sound is the slack agricultural gearbox fitted to these

I have emailed the garage and it's gonna be going in under warranty thankfully.

It doesn't do it in neutral. Just in first gear when waiting at lights.

Thanks for the reply will keep everyone updated.

Mines also does exactly all of the above and I got another member to listen to the car and drive it too. His car got replaced under warranty and he listened to mine and said its fine. Wasn't like the noises he was getting which warranted a replacement clutch and flywheel.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd update on this. Car went in a few weeks back and the mechanic acknowledged the noises etc.

Car was in for just under a week whilst I was on holiday and they said everything normal and they did a fluid change on the gear box as that was abit sticky.

Seems fine now and mind put at rest - worth the trip but everything normal. They even rang through 2 mechanics from somewhere "higher up" the Nissan chain to get more advice - or so they said.

Happy that everything is characteristics of the car though.

VRichie

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...