Grinding and excessive rust?

STRBramley

Hi all,

I picked up my 350z last weekend and I've noticed a grinding noise that seems to occur at very low speeds and its much louder when braking.

The discs seem fine on all sides apart from the rear o/s which looks very uneven. There is also alot of brake dust/rust on the alloy which I assume is from the disc?

Does anyone know what could cause this? Could it be because it hasn't been driven for 6 months?

mlzb6Qu.jpg

Best to remove all wheels and pull the pads for inspection.

The rotor in your image is shot, I would hate to think what the condition of the inside face of the rotors are like.

Alex. :)

Sorry for being slightly thick, but what's a rotor?

The rotor in your image is shot, I would hate to think what the condition of the inside face of the rotors are like.

Rotor = Disc.

Rotor = Disc.

I'll get it to the garage and get them sorted.

Best to remove the wheel, inspect the discs and pads, the grinding noise could well be the pads worn down to the metal and eating into the discs... :)

How easy are they to replace on the zed? And what's the cost of a pair of rear pads?

Best to remove the wheel, inspect the discs and pads, the grinding noise could well be the pads worn down to the metal and eating into the discs... :)

How easy are they to replace on the zed? And what's the cost of a pair of rear pads?

Few options for pads and discs here under Non Brembo - http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_7 :)

Few options for pads and discs here under Non Brembo - http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_7 :)

Cheers for the link, I'll take a look now. Any recommendations?

Am I causing any additional damage to the car other than wearing on the disc and pad while I wait to get them sorted?

Is it the rears that are grinding, what's fitted on the front, if it's standard discs on the front I'd emulate the same with the rear, it also looks like you have Yellowstuff pads fitted too, which we also supply... :)

First port of call would be to inspect both front and rear pads and discs and then see which is needed... :)

Is it the rears that are grinding, what's fitted on the front, if it's standard discs on the front I'd emulate the same with the rear, it also looks like you have Yellowstuff pads fitted too, which we also supply... :)

First port of call would be to inspect both front and rear pads and discs and then see which is needed... :)

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty certain the grinding is coming from the rear and all the other discs look smooth so I'm guessing it's just that one.

I'll take a look at the front discs and pads in the morning to see what I have on there.

If it is the Yellowstuff pads I need then will this combination work?

Discs - Are the OEM? I'd like to keep it as close to OEM as possible. http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7_4&products_id=40

Pads - http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7_5&products_id=44

You can indeed go with the combo you've linked, as the discs will be standard and it'll mean you'll be using the same pads that are already fitted... :)

Excellent, thanks for your help. I'll check what I have fitted to the front in the morning and report back. Would I have to take the alloys off to see what pads are fitted?

Do yourself a favor mate and get someone who knows what there doing to look at it. By the questions your asking this is gonna go wrong. Its yer brakes so for your sake and everyone else on the road get it sorted properly

Do yourself a favor mate and get someone who knows what there doing to look at it. By the questions your asking this is gonna go wrong. Its yer brakes so for your sake and everyone else on the road get it sorted properly

Don't worry I'll get them fitted at a garage but I'll buy all the parts myself so I know what I'm getting fitted :-)

With the JDM calipers you can see what's fitted but to get a proper look at the discs and pads I'd remove the wheels... :)

I had a quick look this morning but I've not had time to remove the wheels. I know it isn't much to go on but can you tell what front pads I might have fitted from these pictures?

I'd like to get them ordered asap.

3u3ypenu.jpgzamegege.jpghehavu4y.jpg

No set guide for how often they need replacing as it comes down to driving styles, motorway use or daily drive etc... :)

Is it possible they have never been replaced?

Would I be better buying new discs and pads all round to match?