Easiest/cheapest way to install replacement Amp (Pio HU already installed)

nictry

So far as follows:

Toby - shocks away fitted HU and has re looked at prob with no fix and after 2 chase ups has not provided me with a response to quote for fitting amp/speakers as a way of sorting whistling and potential amp issue

Sounds alarming as above nothing doing

Eclipse mobile - referred via the above but having spoken to him over a week ago and being promised a call back nothing doing

Communicar - looked at car said might be able to install a 2 ch amp to front speakers but after nearly 2 weeks no further info or response with 2 chase ups

Enigmacar - quoted £1200 for an amp and 2 speaker install, surprisingly not going there!

Two others that I have forgotten that weren't sure about doing a 350z as not done one before

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I should add that during the call with sounds alarming all sounded fine to start with priced up as ~£250 total for the fitting of both the amp and the front speaker change over (plus the sub amp changeover and all wiring) and including putting the new amp behind the rear cubby - then add cost of amp and speakers so all was sounded pretty reasonable in all honesty but just a shame corporate stuff obviously is more 'valuable' to them now.

I should add that during the call with sounds alarming all sounded fine to start with priced up as ~£250 total for the fitting of both the amp and the front speaker change over (plus the sub amp changeover and all wiring) and including putting the new amp behind the rear cubby - then add cost of amp and speakers so all was sounded pretty reasonable in all honesty but just a shame corporate stuff obviously is more 'valuable' to them now.

maybe worth hanging on until they can do it then?

I know you are probably impatient, I am too but you can't blame them for putting corporate work first really, it is probably contract stuff and worth an annual amount rather than a one off job...

Can understand your frustration though, money to spend and nobody to do the work, crazy isn't it. A while back I wanted a bit of advice on fitted a double din to my missus MX-5, phoned 3/4 places and just like you they all said they just simply couldn't be bothered :shrug:

Not really impatient as such but as the HU was fitted weeks ago and hasn't worked properly since and having spent over £500 already I'm just a bit pi**ed that I can't actually enjoy the sound in the car, also being a soft top another month or more and we will already be halfway through summer so really would have liked it done before it gets put away for the winter!! Honestly I think sounds alarming don't want the work at all, if they had said we can fit you in early July that would be fine but basically they just said sorry no can do and palmed me off.

Yeah your probly right, when I first got my Zed I had a Pioneer 'professionally' fitted. It was a joke, alternator whine just like yours, a real bodge job! Even plugged in the rear speaker RCAs the wrong way around :lol:

I went to sounds alarming and they sorted the mess out thats why I recommended them, but after that I read up and swapped to a new HU and fitted the sub myself.

Why not have a go yourself?

Sent from the golf club...

Simply put because I would **** it up!!!!

I had never done anything like it before but I fitted the HU, satnav in the cubby, wired in an electic cubby lid, all hard wired, fitted and wired in my sub and other bits and bobs, seriously it isn't that difficult if you follow the guides on here.

You could wire the earth to the place BM mentioned and no more whine ;)

I've had a better idea, am going to try and get hold of a replacement Bose amp and switch them over (even I should be able to do that) and at least that will show me whether the problem is the amp or if the HU installation is actually the issue, if other people have installed the same HU without changing the amp etc then this should prove one way or another if the issue is a bad installation or a broken/faulty amp.

One wanted ad going up!

Well I am a very happy chap, after taking chunks out of my hand I have managed to swap over the amp for a direct replacement amp and although I only did a short drive test but it looks like my problems might be resolved

No obvious whistle and no random volume fluctuations, so am very pleased!

One odd question though, does anyone know what this part is y5yga8y6.jpg

It was attached on the reverse of the amp framework, looks like it is some sort of earthing box but is a Clarion part so def looks like part of the BOSE set up and if that needs changing I would like to make sure I have changed all of the amp parts?

Edited by nictry

Arrghhh just when I thought I had everything sorted my wife just said to me when she came out to the car that the middle of the dash doesn't look right! I just took some pictures and it looks like when the centre console was taken out to fit the HU etc that it may not have been replaced properly?

I am 99% sure it is not right but before I have a complete meltdown and start losing my mind can someone confirm it is def not fitted straight and more importantly can this be fixed easily or does the whole console need to come out again?

uhesu4an.jpge3a4uzy9.jpg

Yep does not looked properly located via its clips at the top., that gap should be much smaller. You could try gently pushing down at the top edge and trying to push it back at the same time. But be careful not to push it back by the clock housings as they are a little fragile.

Ffs, I really despair, just tried to push it back and nothing doing, I dare not put any more pressure on it as it is clearly not 'clipping/pushing' under the dash, I pushed as hard as possible on the edge of the satnav cover and sides of the console but as you say don't want to use the housings as I can imagine them snapping off!

It feels like something is stopping it moving forwards, I wonder if when the HU was fitted there are some wires/joining boxes etc stuck behind the stereo preventing it going in? Well another trip back to the fitter to get it sorted I suppose!

It's funny as since it was rechecked for the earth problems I had noticed a bit more 'squeaking' from the dash so I suspect the two might be connected even though I didn't realise at the time

Edited by nictry

It's pretty tight back there, the cables and connectors ideally need pushing down into the well behind the 3 dial control box, looks like they are all behind the HU and that's why it won't go back properly :console:

5 minute job but hassle you don't need!

• 1 month later...
Whine while accelerating (only when speakers have power) and also a strange noise every time I brake, like speakers being unplugged/plugged back in... Only since new head unit

Sounds like a wiring insulation problem or not adequate earthing or even connectors loose, did you fit it yourself?

Paid an ICE company to do it, been back down and they've re-earthed it, hasn't made a difference. It's starting to get on my nerves now. I'm gonna check the amp, see if that sorts it... Where is the amp situated? Is it a pain to get to?

Well that's not acceptable is it? If you paid for the, to install it there should not be alternator whine or any other type of interference. Did they supply everything as well like the amp?