Injen cold air filter

H5

i had one on mine and it sounded great, i had the chance to buy a K&N typhoon system at a great price so swapped them over, i was going to put it on ebay but if you like i will sell it to you for £50 + p+p

if your interested let me know and i will get you some pics

cheers Paul

Im running the Injen CAI on mine. Looks and sounds awsome. I've got it configured to the low setting with the filter behind the front bumper grill. You can also make it short and have it sit where the origonal airbox is.

Very happy with it.

617394324.jpg

617394375.jpg

This arrived the other day (thanks P15ULT! :thumbs: ) and am not sure which way to go with it. Short ram or CAI? :blush:

This seems to be 50/50 split on my350z. Short ram is likely to have less pressure drop but is also prone to heat soak. CAI is the opposite. I'd try short ram (easy to fit) then CAI and see which you prefer.

I'm currently trying to decide on whether to get a BMC CDA intake or not. They get really good reviews on my old Leon forums (and all VAG), and Alfa's use them a lot too, as well as a few race teams and bike teams, but then arent seen on Zeds very often. Think I'll start a new trend :thumbs:

This arrived the other day (thanks P15ULT! :thumbs: ) and am not sure which way to go with it. Short ram or CAI? :blush:

This seems to be 50/50 split on my350z. Short ram is likely to have less pressure drop but is also prone to heat soak. CAI is the opposite. I'd try short ram (easy to fit) then CAI and see which you prefer.

I'm currently trying to decide on whether to get a BMC CDA intake or not. They get really good reviews on my old Leon forums (and all VAG), and Alfa's use them a lot too, as well as a few race teams and bike teams, but then arent seen on Zeds very often. Think I'll start a new trend :thumbs:

Cheers Chris. Is there any difference in sound or 'theoretical' gains between the two? I agree, I think I will start short ram in the first place. Not having done this sort of mod myself before, how will I know if there is heat soak? :blush:

I dont think you so much as feel heat soak, its more a log of the ODBII (diag) will show it up somewhere in lower numbers, but I have no idea where. Tere might be able to help with that kind of thing, she has a lot of experience in tuning Zeds.

You will probably just prefer one to the other. From what I have read the differences between stock air box, CAI and short ram are very few and far between. Its mainly about noise I guess. Short ram will give more noise as the end of the filter isnt enclosed. Also there have been people with CAI that have driven into large puddles and hydrolocked the engine where water has been sucked up through the CAI into the engine (think thats what it is).

At the end of the day, it all appears to be about personal preference to what you like the best as the self leveling ECU will take control and negate any gains you would see :)

Cheers, was well aware that there would be no gains. Main reason was a bit of shiny stuff, then the noise. While I'd like a bit more, I don't want it to make it silly on normal driving, but a nice bit of grunt when out playing! :D

Your comments confirm my worries too about CAI, especially with the rain recently. No way am I taking the bumper off every two weeks to install / uninstall the thing!

I have found out to my expense that with the 06 model it is impossible to get the filter down inside the bumper on the CAI as the washer reservoir for the headlamps is in the way, so I have gone for the short ram version at the moment, but may revert back to stock as I reckon the filter will pick up more hot air when exposed. The sound is noticable when revving at stand still but not really once you are going.

Asthetically it looks lovely but is the HP compromise realy worth it?

I have found out to my expense that with the 06 model it is impossible to get the filter down inside the bumper on the CAI as the washer reservoir for the headlamps is in the way, so I have gone for the short ram version at the moment, but may revert back to stock as I reckon the filter will pick up more hot air when exposed. The sound is noticable when revving at stand still but not really once you are going.

Asthetically it looks lovely but is the HP compromise realy worth it?

Cheers, that's worth bearing in mind. I'll give it a go and see how she feels. :thumbs:

Just go short ram, easier to clean, sounds nicer (well can be heard more), looks more bling and no chance of hydrolock. Small chance of heat soak, but hey ho, it dont get that warm in this country compared to the US :thumbs:

Well it's on, and first drive down the road i have to say the difference in the last 1000 rpm is amazing - car semms to launch itself on much more than before. Passenger even said so that helped me with the install. However, I expect that to subside once the ECU has done it's bit.

Pic installed.

DSCF1400.jpg

:D

And I may have spent a silly amount of time polishing the tube up too! :blush:

The air flow tube for the standard box is still in place at the moment. I will look out for a heat shield but will also see if I notice anything.

The original air box was only plastic and actually closer to the engine itself. I wouldn't imagine there is much difference in the temperature of the air it is taking in from OEM. :)

The air flow tube for the standard box is still in place at the moment. I will look out for a heat shield but will also see if I notice anything.

The original air box was only plastic and actually closer to the engine itself. I wouldn't imagine there is much difference in the temperature of the air it is taking in from OEM. :)

We have the JWT style heatshield available only difference is ours is mirror polished. £30 delivered.

filtermod1.jpg

filtermod4.jpg

Couple of questions:-

Paul / Nick - when you had yours fitted, how did you get that bit of plastic duct out from next to the radiator? I can't see how, even with the bumper off, you get the thing out of the car!!

Phil - re: the above shield, if I can work out why mine seems to be very close to the existing duct location I may try one. Does it come covered in any plastic protection so I can put it in place and return it if it doesn't fit?

Thanks for your help so far guys. :thumbs:

Couple of questions:-

Paul / Nick - when you had yours fitted, how did you get that bit of plastic duct out from next to the radiator? I can't see how, even with the bumper off, you get the thing out of the car!!

Phil - re: the above shield, if I can work out why mine seems to be very close to the existing duct location I may try one. Does it come covered in any plastic protection so I can put it in place and return it if it doesn't fit?

Thanks for your help so far guys. :thumbs:

We have used the heatshield with virtually every filter on the market and all fitted no problem

I can leave the protector film on so should avoid any marking.

If you are ona about the plastic duct I think you are on about....lever off the popper with a flat head screwdriver and the retainer comes off and the duct just slides off.

Have taken the retainer off, but the length of the duct is too long for the space between the mounting point for it and the front bumper for any removal. Can't work out how to get it out!! :wacko:

If you are ona about the plastic duct I think you are on about....lever off the popper with a flat head screwdriver and the retainer comes off and the duct just slides off.

Have taken the retainer off, but the length of the duct is too long for the space between the mounting point for it and the front bumper for any removal. Can't work out how to get it out!! :wacko:

Only comes completely out with bumper off, why do you need to remove it.