Car pc build

zimon14

Hey all i have a car pc build out of components i had spare from a pc build and a 7" touch screen ready to go into my z.

im taking the Hu out as this is where the screen is going just wondering if there is any way to connect the pc to the bose system or is it going to be a new amp and components for me? Ive searched a few car pc builds but most of them keep the stock head unit.

you will be lucky to get a cd to play on your bose let alone run a pc through it :lol: generally the bose is pretty limited so most people rip it out and add something new in. Have a look in the I.C.E section for guides as you will need a few harnesses and connectors to get an aftermarket stereo to fit

I have a spare 7" screen and the best option i found was to get one of those rasberry PI's £25 ish, and just install ubuntu on it and run it as a media centre, use the aux output on it and do the Bose HU trick to make it aux in, but use the sat nav space for the screen.

Cheers for the replies,Yeah i thought about doing something like that but getting a screen into the sat nav cubby of an 07 is a pain apparently.

So though i might be able to connect the pc to bose amp but it looks as though i will be ordering new amp and compenent speakers which if the bose system is as bad as everyone says wont be a problem haha.

Is there an Ubuntu distro for raspberry pi? I've got one running the raspberry flavoured XBMC which is perfect for media playing, but little else. There is a utility for multiple boot options on the pi, which might be useful if you want a media player mostly but a "full" PC at other times.

What i did on my 123d was just to use a nexus 7 tablet. Fits nicely in the dash and looks oem. Out of the box you have gps, sat nav, facebook & all the usual apps. I can stream video/music straight to the display, even watch tvcatchup if i fancy watching telly on the way to work (only joking). The 3.5mm output plugs straight into the input of my bmw`s head unit. (on the zed you could do the ipod hack like i did to give you an aux in on it and plug it into there. Saves a lot of messing about building a pi or pc then getting a screen etc. Nexus 7`s seem very cheap now 2nd hand.

Fortunatly ive already built the pc and have a screen otherwise i would of gone down the tablet route as ive seen some good looking builds with them.

Also i would use the bose hack as ive already done this but im taking out the bose hu so wouldnt have that option.

• Like 1

Is there an Ubuntu distro for raspberry pi? I've got one running the raspberry flavoured XBMC which is perfect for media playing, but little else. There is a utility for multiple boot options on the pi, which might be useful if you want a media player mostly but a "full" PC at other times.

Sorry not ubuntu, XBMC is what i was suppose to put i read it somewhere not actually done it myself but i thought it was an ubuntu system :shrug:

Sorry not ubuntu, XBMC is what i was suppose to put i read it somewhere not actually done it myself but i thought it was an ubuntu system :shrug:

That's a shame, I was hoping you had link you could share.

• Like 1