Still got a rattle/clunking on front of car...

Richparry2009

I have changed my front antil roll bar links, ball joint and bushes on my 2003 350z - I still have this rattle/clunk when going down rubbish roads or over bumps v annoying. My mechanic had a look and couldn't see anything that jumped out as being the issue- he did say there was a crack in the rubber of track rod ends on both sides- but this passed the mot a month ago- when he twisted the rob end with his hand there was a tapping sound...he said new track rod end and shock absorber mounts could do the trick, but not 100% sure!!! I don't want to chase a rattle and spend a fortune, which is the way I'm heading - any clues/advice? Thanks

one at a time is fine ... it's usually the LHS that goes first ... but the other will go in due course ... I'm not surprised your trusted mechanic is finding difficulty diagnosing it ... the only way (if it's the ball joint) is to see if it goes away when left foot braking whilst maintaining your (slow) speed over bumpy ground

Lot's of threads on this and I'm usually right if the noise has been described adequately ... put down your 20 ... a nearby member maybe will help to confirm

So you don't think it will be .....crack in the rubber of track rod ends on both sides, as I mentioned in original post?

Stick with banana bar or suspension arm area then...thanks for all the possibilities just need someone that can diagnose it correctly so I don't replace parts for the fun of it. I am based about 25 min from Coventry. I have a Nissan garage in leamington spa will they charge just to have a look diagnose problem??? Silly question ..ha!

I'm not technical but it could be the kinda pivot ball joint bearing thing at the top of the suspension. I've got that just now and will be replaced next month. Apparently shouldn't fail (the part) but it gives a loud rattle/knocking over bumpy roads.

Hi, still got issues with this clunking noise (drivers side) over rough uneven roads, had my mechanic look at it again on the ramps with and without pressure on wheel, nothing jumped out - he said that it could be the lower control arm or the compression bar....he said its hard to put your finger on the exact issue as quite a bit worn, bushes,etc on my 2003 car. Do I go for lower control arm first as I understand its a lot cheaper than compression arm?? Any advice...what would the cost of the parts be? Thanks

On mine it was very easy to see that the banana arm bush had failed, as the arm was sitting right down on the mounting bolt - you can see it if you look under the car behind the front wheel - you may be able to move it at the chassis mounting if its failed like mine - but your mechanic would surely have spotted this

• 2 weeks later...

Got something that sounds the same. A clonk over bumps (I.e. everywhere given the current state of the roads round here) from the front offside at low speed. Thought it was drop links, but this gives me something else to explore. MOT this week, so will get them to check.

I've developed a faint clunk when turning left on mine, must be the banana arm bushes. Will probably stick Super Pros in as an upgrade. Is this the noise that people normally get with bush failure? I do check mine when I have the wheels off and the last time I looked the buses seemed ok, is it obvious if they've failed?

Edit - all drop links have been upgraded to Whitelines since I lowered the car so it can't be them.

Edited by Jp606