Oil & Filter Change on DE Engine: Help Please!

Darren350

Hey guys!

I have 5 litres of Motul Fully Synth 5w 30, an OEM Nissan Oil Filter, and a crush washer. Now what? Haha

How much goes in exactly? I read '4.7 with filter', what does this mean? I was going to give this a go myself but os it worth taking to a 'proper mechanic'?

Advice appreciated!

(Secondly, is Tapatalk the biggest pile of crap going or what? Whenever trying to use the search function it is useless so I have to start topics that have been answered 8 billion times before!)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Drain it from the sump plug...take old oil filter off... Put new one one (put a bit of oil on rubber ring on the filter). Put sump plug back in with new crush washer...put 4.7ltrs of oil in...check oil level with dip stick. 10mins job if that

yea, jack the front of it up and undo the plug and take filter off and let it drain for 5mins. You can lower you car a bit while its draining to level it up a bit...but be carefull not to squash your bucket or whatever you draining into to :) but don't have to, as filter and sump plug located right at the bottom anyway :)

Its best to jack the car up evenly, ideally you want the car as flat as possible, as a side note, its probably best to put about 4 litres of oil in and top it up checking the dip stick every now and then untill you have the ideal amount in. its easy to top it up more awkward to take some back out ;)

• Like 1

I done mine the other day,make sure nothing is underneath if you lower it (my sideskirt can vouch for that :wacko: )

I took front right wheel off which made access easy then lowered car to drain oil out of plug (this takes skill :lol: ) you don't have to do that. but as mentioned stick 4 litres in then keep topping up against dipstick. undo oil filler cap and pull dipstick to help draining (make sure you put dipstick back in before refilling with oil) prime the oil filter with a bit of oil before you put it on make sure all the rubber seals are well coated in oil

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 1

Cheers guys!

Where is the ideal place for the oil to be showing on the dipstick? Currently it has sat at the half way mark since I purchased the car 3 months ago. It seems to use very little as I haven't had to top it up once and I check it weekly.

Also what tools are required to remove the sump plug and oil filter?

i believe the sump is a 14mm nut (dont quote me) and the oil filter was a pain in my case, you may get lucky and be able to unscrew it by hand. use a big grip (like a water pump grip) or oil filter remover so get one of those to make life easier or if your like me and don't have either jab it with a screwdriver and turn it by hand

Edited by jumping350

Thanks Vlad! That's great mate.

Do I need to jack the car up on one side only, is the pan situated so that it's best to drain with just one wheel cocked?

Having just removed the lower sump on mine, I can say there was a fair bit of oil (1/4 liter?) left in the pan so I thought next time I would see if I could just lift the passenger side to make sure I got it all out